Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Wheel wobble! Help/ideas/etc.???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel wobble! Help/ideas/etc.???

Hey guys. I just had my inter. med. steering shaft replaced about 2 months at the dealer and they said my tires were looking pretty bad so I dropped a good amount on some Goodyear silent armor 20/275/55's and they are awesome! HOWEVER, I now have a major problem in the form of a horrible and annoying wobble at 65 - 75 mph! I've been back to the Goodyear dealer 3 times for new balancing and stuff and they said they are as prefect as they can get them.

I difinitely think there is now something else going on! I'm taking it to the dealer this Wed. to have them look it over. I know my shocks are starting to really feel 'soft' (feeling ever little bump or crack) and I'm about to replace them. I did also 'upgrade' my tie rod ends, idler arm and ball joints about a year ago with MOOG replacements. I also have upgraded sway bars front and rear...

The truck has just now got 40k miles

So I'm VERY much wanting to get rid of this 'WOBBLE' too and the Goodyear guys feel horrible too since they put these new badass tires on and now I'm having problems...
Also there is a clicking, tapping 'electiric' snapping noise coming out from under the truck somewhere. Hard to pin point. Just started noticing it too and was going to point it out to the dealer too...

I'm going to ask the dealer to check the following:
1. Tie rods
2. Hub assy.
3. Steering arm(s)
4. Bearings
5. Bad tire(s) Goodyear says no
6. Bad rim(s) Goodyear says no
7. U-joints
8. Idler arm
9. Drivetrain

Anything else anyone can think of??
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask if they can "roadforce balance" the tires, sounds like you have a tire out of round (shifted belt).
Old 06-30-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

hub bearing!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem is that you bought a goodyear. I've seen your problem time and time again with their tires. Get Michelins and be done dicking around and enjoy your new found smoothness.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Teching In

i would see how much weight they put on your wheels,i have mounted up silent armors before that called for 8-9 oz of weight and thats too much.it doesnt matter how well they balance out if they need a lot of weight they will wobble at speed.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Also, the 'problem' seems to be temp. sensitive. In the morning drive much worst then the afternoon or early evening drive...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still leaning towards a tire issue...I was going to say, as HirdleJ mentioned, that I've seen alot of problems with GoodYear tires, but I didn't want to burst your bubble. The roadforce balance puts force against the tire as it spins to simulate the force of the road. Sometimes a tire has to be turned 180* or 90* on the wheel to balance out. The balancer will display if the roadforce variation is too great and cannot be balanced.

Since the tire store said "as perfect as we can get them", I'm weary of if the tires can be balanced or not...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

i had the same problem at about 45-50mph and i thought my balance was off..but i took to the local shop and they said it was my inner tie rods. Replaced those and it fixed the problem. I didnt know it until i posted asking if other people have had to change them and everyone said It is very common for people to have to change the inner tie rods in there trucks after about 40k miles.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Undoubtedly a tire issue...I'd bet a cup of coffee on it. You went in with no vibration issues, bought new tires, and now you have vibration issues. "As good as they can get them" isn't good enough, and this is common on 18" and greater wheels & tires. I'd recommend a Road Force balance on a Hunter machine. If your shop doesn't have one, ask them to pay for the service elsewhere. Or...

There are some alternatives you can try. First, move the backs to the front (one at a time) to try to isolate the issue. Second, have 'em do a 180 on the fronts to see if they balance out better.

Tires are subjective, but I have to agree with the sentiment on Goodyears. If you like 'em...great, but IMO there are just too many other...better...tires out there. Good luck with everything.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like your tires are getting flat spots when parked for several hours or more. Probably has something to do with the layer of Kevlar belt in the tire. This also happens when tire manufacturers use too much nylon.

Quick Reply: Wheel wobble! Help/ideas/etc.???