Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

where do i get a built driveshaft???

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do i get a built driveshaft???

well i was at hpe today getting my gears calibrated to the speedometer and the governor taken off, i doubt i'll be going anywhere near 125mph, but still i would like the extra insurance when the cammed LQ9 goes in, so where can i get one built? or bought? possibly in the houston area, also where do i get it installed in hosuton?? thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Lightbulb

Right here!
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/index.html

I like!

Jim
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Theres a few reputable shops in the Houston Area that do driveshaft work. I have a few written down somewhere as I was looking into one for my Nova. As soon as I find it I'll post it up.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Here are the ones you need.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html...ce_shafts.html
The price doesn't seem too bad either.

Jim
Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Here are the ones you need.
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/html...ce_shafts.html
The price doesn't seem too bad either.

Jim
So is that the exact one for my truck? Also how hard is it to put in? Would I be able to do this with simple tools? Or is it best to leave it to the shops?? Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the subject of driveshafts, is it better to replace or just balance? I got a quote for $75 locally to balance my 1 pc aluminum DS.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trever1t
On the subject of driveshafts, is it better to replace or just balance? I got a quote for $75 locally to balance my 1 pc aluminum DS.
Depends on if there is damage to the driveshaft. If you have no damage (nicks, or dents) just have it rebalanced.

When you get a new driveshaft look into an aluminum shaft just as strong and very light.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:23 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure mine is aluminum and it's only got 8500 miles on it. I'll just get it balanced.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dry_kill
So is that the exact one for my truck? Also how hard is it to put in? Would I be able to do this with simple tools? Or is it best to leave it to the shops?? Thanks
The two piece shafts are not aluminum. the Denny's shafts are built better than the factory ones. They are performance driveshafts that they sell.
I'm not 100% sure if that particular drive shaft in the photo is the exact one, but it will look identical. That one may be for another brand truck or could be the actual one for your truck. Just call them and ask them.
You should easily be able to replace the driveshaft on your own. Place jack stands under the rear axle to elevate the rear of the truck higher than the front (this is so not too much tranny fluid runs out the rear of the tail of the tranny when you slide out the driveshaft), unbolt the rear bolts at your rear axle pinion, then unbolt the carrier bearing, and slide out the drive shaft from the rear of the tranny. (Place a bucket under the rear of the tranny tail to catch any fluid that may come out)
Then place the new one back in the same way. I'm not too sure if the GM driveshaft's splines that go into the tranny are on the outside or inside, but you may want to place some grease on it before placing back into the tranny. The same goes for the rear driveshaft half. Though you can grease that one with a grease gun. Replace the carrier bearing, and finally bolt back the rear section of the driveshft onto the axle pinion. Use some med type loctite on the bolts. Replace what ever tranny fluid you lost and your all done.
It's all pretty easy.
By the way...........did you fix your brakes yet???????????

Jim
Old 04-18-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya got the brakes fixed, turns out when I did my 2 inch drop a couple months ago, the flowmaster dual outlet muffler I had, the driver side pipe was hitting the metal part of the brake line everytime I hit a bump and one end of the line was cracked where I was flare, had hell replacing the part but I got it fixed

Quick Reply: where do i get a built driveshaft???