Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

who has broke a 10-bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek @ EDO
The TA diff. cover should eliminate the flexing huh?
Everyone that I know of who has installed one of those covers has solved their flexing problems, yes. At one time they were sold under different brands, same thing. There's another cover available made by Mag-hytec that works too. It's also a heavy casting but is unique in that it installs with no gasket. These covers have a channel that an o-ring sits in to make the seal. The gasketless design allows for metal-to-metal contact between the cover and the housing, and that helps keep the housing rigid by eliminating movement there.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James B.
Everyone that I know of who has installed one of those covers has solved their flexing problems, yes. At one time they were sold under different brands, same thing. There's another cover available made by Mag-hytec that works too. It's also a heavy casting but is unique in that it installs with no gasket. These covers have a channel that an o-ring sits in to make the seal. The gasketless design allows for metal-to-metal contact between the cover and the housing, and that helps keep the housing rigid by eliminating movement there.
I got the MagHytec cover so I feel a little better. But I guess I need to start looking for a 14 bolt. Has anyone contacted Moser, or the like, for a truck bolt-in 12 bolt, 9", or Dana60?

Bill
Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I broke one in my 84 silvy. Shattered both rear axles, took a couple of teeth off the ring gear and the pinion. The Detroit locker survived with only some cosmetic damage from the busted axles turning in it. I got new gears,bearings, bullet proof axles, put it all back together and all was fine.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

will the TA cover fit on my tahoe with the stock pan hard bar? is there any way convert from the yoke straps to u-bolts? or would it be beter to just buy the 1350 yoke conversion with u-bolts?
Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I did something really strange to my 10 bolt. I finaly got it to hook grabbing a 100 shot off the line and I here BAM! I figured that I had broken an axle but then I here the drive shaft flopping around. Turns out that I had rotated the center section. The axle tubes and spring perches stayed put and the center section was pointing straight at the floor of the bed. I did not know but the axle tubes are not welded to the center section. Turns out that I did not actually break anything in the chunk. I had it fixed, welded the tubes and it is now good to go.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 PM
formerly 20032wdsilverado (8/29/2011)

Damn, thats an odd thing to happen, i've never heard of something like that happening, strange.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:32 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Dock Rocker
I did something really strange to my 10 bolt. I finaly got it to hook grabbing a 100 shot off the line and I here BAM! I figured that I had broken an axle but then I here the drive shaft flopping around. Turns out that I had rotated the center section. The axle tubes and spring perches stayed put and the center section was pointing straight at the floor of the bed. I did not know but the axle tubes are not welded to the center section. Turns out that I did not actually break anything in the chunk. I had it fixed, welded the tubes and it is now good to go.
so did they just sand it down and run a bead all the way around? then paint it back up? thats what i planed on doing. i wonder if you can run a solid bead or if it would be better to do alittle at a time going back and forth from side to side to alow it to cool.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 4.8T
so did they just sand it down and run a bead all the way around? then paint it back up? thats what i planed on doing. i wonder if you can run a solid bead or if it would be better to do alittle at a time going back and forth from side to side to alow it to cool.
Yes they did run a bead around each tube and the housing. This is going to be hard to explain but they also ran a large diameter bolt though the rear end housing into the axle tube. It does not penitrate into the area where the axle is. There are 4 bolts two on the top side of the housing and two on the bottom pointing to the ground. It kinda makes the rear end look like frankenstein with those big bolts poking out. I am going to put on a set of caltracs to help fight the axle wrap before I go back to the track.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

only thing ive torn up in my rear end is just the stock g-80 and ive stripped the teeth off the pinion
Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dock Rocker
Yes they did run a bead around each tube and the housing. This is going to be hard to explain but they also ran a large diameter bolt though the rear end housing into the axle tube. It does not penitrate into the area where the axle is. There are 4 bolts two on the top side of the housing and two on the bottom pointing to the ground. It kinda makes the rear end look like frankenstein with those big bolts poking out. I am going to put on a set of caltracs to help fight the axle wrap before I go back to the track.
pics?

Quick Reply: who has broke a 10-bolt?