Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

who is having sucess with there g80?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:31 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
i have done pleanty of 90mph burn outs and the truck makes some retarded power out of the hole.
specifically addressing this, if your G80 is staying locked, i.e. both wheels spinning relatively the same speed, there really is no potential for failure other than the clutch pack. Conversely, if the G80 operates as designed, by unlocking at speeds above 20mph +/-, this is where the potential for failure of the spider gear assembly occurs. An otherwise fairly non-moving part(spider gears on their carrier) start to wizz along pretty good, and since there are no bearings associated with this sub-assembly, one is relying on a film of oil to keep things in check.

Parish, during your 90mph burnouts, what is going on back there? 2 wheels spinning or 1?
Old 06-05-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have done pleanty of 90mph burn outs and the truck makes some retarded power out of the hole.

stock tires have to help it survive.

one other thing i never do is even try to get it to hook around a corner. i know it wont do it. i am always in a strait line when i hit it. maybe that is why it is holding or i am just lucky.
Stock tires, no wheel hop, smooth power transitions from stalling it up, feathering it off and on if it is spinning and not trying to hook around a corner with lots of power are several driving techniques that will help the G80 survive in my opinion. Applying power in a straight line is definately a big one. Mine is holding up fine so far. Knock on wood.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:39 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
specifically addressing this, if your G80 is staying locked, i.e. both wheels spinning relatively the same speed, there really is no potential for failure other than the clutch pack. Conversely, if the G80 operates as designed, by unlocking at speeds above 20mph +/-, this is where the potential for failure of the spider gear assembly occurs. An otherwise fairly non-moving part(spider gears on their carrier) start to wizz along pretty good, and since there are no bearings associated with this sub-assembly, one is relying on a film of oil to keep things in check.

Parish, during your 90mph burnouts, what is going on back there? 2 wheels spinning or 1?
i never see a 1 wheel peal unless i try to spin it around a corner. once it converts to one wheel there is no more sliding around and that is no fun so i just dont do it. i keep the wheels mostly strait and the back end moves around as it wants never unlocking but as soon as i try and whip it a little with the steering it unlocks.

a real locker would be so much fun but no quicker so i haven't upgraded yet.

it does lock above 20mph. i often do a burn out starting at 40-60mph and it fishes around a little and leaves 2 marks.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:41 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

i never see a 1 wheel peal unless i try to spin it around a corner. once it converts to one wheel there is no more sliding around and that is no fun so i just dont do it. i keep the wheels mostly strait and the back end moves around as it wants never unlocking but as soon as i try and whip it a little with the steering it unlocks.

a real locker would be so much fun but no quicker so i haven't upgraded yet.

it does lock above 20mph. i often do a burn out starting at 40-60mph and it fishes around a little and leaves 2 marks.
Bingo! this what I had suspected.

All I can say is Congrats! You have got the worlds strongest G80

when you finally swap it out, Eaton might want to take a look at it
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something that people dont understand is that the G80 actually operates like a non-preloaded limited slip at any speed. Becasue they are not preloaded(no pressure on the clutches) they burn up the clutches quicly, that is when they get the one wheel peel. After several one-wheel peels around a corner the clutches are pretty useless, then it only operates as a locker. Once the clutches are burned it makes the locking action more jarring to the case since the clutches cant soften the blow anymore. The corner thing burns the clutches easily because of the very un-even tire loading and very large speed variance allowing one tire to have signifigantly more traction. The fact the yours is still working as a limited slip shows that the clutch pack is still in decent shape.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:35 AM
14 Second Truck Club

cool thanks for all the info guys Gene
Old 06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I killed mine punching it from a stop off on the shoulder of the road with one tire in the grass and peeled out to about fifty or sixty shortly after that it started locking up on me in turns time to get an eaton.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Truck addict

i am running the g80 and spray out of the hole to low 13's. so far so good. i just have to remember to not shock the unit when doing a burnout or i get a one wheel peal.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

what do you mean by shocking the unit?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Truck addict

when you go to do your burn out at the track, don't try to give it all she has right off the bat. kinda ease into the throttle till the tires start to spin then apply more pedal till you have a nice burn out going.

Quick Reply: who is having sucess with there g80?