Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Who makes the be-all 4l60e

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a FLT-5 65E in my truck making around 500 to the ground and DD'd it for 2yrs. That same trans went in another ECSB with a h/c 6L and still runs great as far as I know. No freshen up between installs either

I've got a Rossler 4L80E now with my turbo setup and its doing the job quite well. I'd go with an FLT hands down for a 60/65/70E setup though.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys do know one of the top Grand National 2004r builders actually builds all of FLT's valve bodys right?

So id say if you want the best od trans,go to the guys who pioneered an od that would hold up,aka the GN trans guys.....Extreme Automatics,PTS Extreme,and for hard parts,CK Performance...
Old 10-04-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by broke1
You guys do know one of the top Grand National 2004r builders actually builds all of FLT's valve bodys right?

So id say if you want the best od trans,go to the guys who pioneered an od that would hold up,aka the GN trans guys.....Extreme Automatics,PTS Extreme,and for hard parts,CK Performance...
Just for grins, I decided to check out Extreme & PTS. While the 1st might be viable, PTS doesn't really list 60E details. They seem more into GNs (200r4)'s. IIRC, Extreme says their product has been proven in fast F-bodies.

I'm not sayin they won't hold up, but I had a builder on East Coast do a built 60e w/. 5 pin planet & other goodies on my older RCLB. They were supposedly in 9sec. F-bodies. I never had hardened shafts, which was what broke the last time. I wasn't even pushin that much power; perhaps other factors were at work tho.

Again, not bashin. But while a tranny is good for a +3000# car, it has to hold up to 4000+ trucks & SUVs. Trucks seem great at killin 60E's w/. their extra weight.

Very few seem to have found the "magic potion" to cure a 60E. If I have someone beef up another 60E in my 04, w/. all the bells & whistles, & it fails,...I have another solution. I'm not gonna just throw in the towel til it fails tho. The end all be all 60e solution ---> 4L80E!

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-04-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fastnblu
while a tranny is good for a +3000# car, it has to hold up to 4000+ trucks & SUVs. Trucks seem great at killin 60E's w/. their extra weight.
That right there is the biggest issue.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

First off I do not know where you get your info on what happens here at FLT. You could not be further from the truth. All valve bodies except for manual vb's for Th400, Th350 and power glides are built here in house by the owner Chuck Johnson or myself period. The ones I mentioned above come from Coan and that is the honest truth.

As for the names you mentioned the only one we have ever done any business with is CK. To be honest some of his stuff worked for us and others well I had issues with. Never purchased a vb from him I know that for fact. I will not go into details but feel free to pm to let me know who is telling you this BS. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
First off I do not know where you get your info on what happens here at FLT. You could not be further from the truth. All valve bodies except for manual vb's for Th400, Th350 and power glides are built here in house by the owner Chuck Johnson or myself period. The ones I mentioned above come from Coan and that is the honest truth.

As for the names you mentioned the only one we have ever done any business with is CK. To be honest some of his stuff worked for us and others well I had issues with. Never purchased a vb from him I know that for fact. I will not go into details but feel free to pm to let me know who is telling you this BS. Vince Bielanski
Figured I would clear this up and here is the pm that was returned today. For the record the info that I posted above is 100% true!

"I think you are mistaken as to what Lonnie told you. He builds valve bodies for a company in Texas called Finish Line Performance not Finish Line Transmissions in Wood Dale Illinois nor Finish Line Performance in Naperville Illinois. Basically all he does is install some sonnax parts for them and make sure that the valve bodies circuits are good. I actually picked up the phone and talk to Lonnie myself to confirm this. So in the future make sure to watch what you say about companies to make sure you have your facts straight. He told me if you would like to call him he would be more than willing to tell you this himself." Vince Bielanski
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what lvl 4l60e would compare to a stock 4l80e with a shift kit?
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlt1
So what lvl 4l60e would compare to a stock 4l80e with a shift kit?
I don't think that you can compare the two, they are completely different monsters. I'm sure that Vince can give you a better idea though.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really are goin to drive your truck like you say you are..

I personally would just skip wasting the money on a 60E and just go for a 80E.

My stock 80E with just a Transgo HD2 shift kit has lasted 5 times longer than any of my built transmissions.

Dont get me wrong, FLT builds one stupid strong 60E but if your 2wd id go with a level 3 80E before i spent the xtra on a level 7 60E and use the money you saved on a Stall.

Im awaiting the arrival of my Level 4 FLT 4L80E So i can install my Circle D stall.

Vince and Andy are some awesome guys to deal with. 10% off right now too