Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Who makes a nice drive shaft loop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The purpose of the driveshaft loop which is 6" from the front yoke is so your driveshaft doesnt snap the ujoints from the rear of the trans and doesnt pole vault the car/truck. a driveshaft loop is not goign to prevent shrapnel from flying places
Old 04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
The purpose of the driveshaft loop which is 6" from the front yoke is so your driveshaft doesnt snap the ujoints from the rear of the trans and doesnt pole vault the car/truck. a driveshaft loop is not goign to prevent shrapnel from flying places
it will keep the majority of the carnage under the vehicle... the broken shaft flopping around causes more damage than the drivashaft itself breaking most of the time...

re-think the pole-vaul theory... have you seen it happen??? sure, it has before... but in most cases it just slides across the pavement. Thats not the sole purpose of the loop...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
re-think the pole-vaul theory... have you seen it happen??? sure, it has before... but in most cases it just slides across the pavement. Thats not the sole purpose of the loop...
It was enforced to prevent "pole vaulting". Even though it doesn't sound likely, I remember that is partly why though.

That was why I asked ZZebes if that was his opinion he stated or factual. Because I haven't heard you need a front DS loop ever. NHRA doesn't give a **** if you **** your under carrige up, they want to prevent serious injury to yourself and others.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

last time i went to the track and asked they said loops were required on all rotating shafts
Old 04-30-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Can you take some pics of that installed? Or post up the dimensions of it? I'd like to know exactly how big that one is.
Well, it's a lot easier to get pics on the lift but here are a couple. My Yukon has torsion bars in front so maybe light trucks (coil springs) don't have a cross member to mount to? In these shots front is to the left, and for scale the loop straps are 2" wide.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

it will keep the majority of the carnage under the vehicle... the broken shaft flopping around causes more damage than the drivashaft itself breaking most of the time...

yes i seen a driveshaft cause a pole vault. a driveshaft isnt going to slid across at first its going to dig into the ground and cause major issues. NHRA/IHRA dont give 2 ***** about the undercarriage of a car. they care if the car flips or even causes it to go into hte next lane and take out the next vehicle. sole purpose is pole vault...then there are the other advantages of having one
Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by GoatChs
Well, it's a lot easier to get pics on the lift but here are a couple. My Yukon has torsion bars in front so maybe light trucks (coil springs) don't have a cross member to mount to? In these shots front is to the left, and for scale the loop straps are 2" wide.

Sweet thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to see!! I was thinking about doing exactly that on my torsion bar as well.

Now, I'm going to have to research info on a DS loop for the front DS... hopefully it's not required. ZZebes, did they tell you that you weren't allowed to run anymore? I wonder if I'll need one to run at the shootout
Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Sweet thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to see!! I was thinking about doing exactly that on my torsion bar as well.

Now, I'm going to have to research info on a DS loop for the front DS... hopefully it's not required. ZZebes, did they tell you that you weren't allowed to run anymore? I wonder if I'll need one to run at the shootout
Yeah, i plan to have 2 loops for shootout to make sure even though my D/S is carbon fiber and turns into dust if it breaks lol
Old 04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
yes i seen a driveshaft cause a pole vault. a driveshaft isnt going to slid across at first its going to dig into the ground and cause major issues. NHRA/IHRA dont give 2 ***** about the undercarriage of a car. they care if the car flips or even causes it to go into hte next lane and take out the next vehicle. sole purpose is pole vault...then there are the other advantages of having one
yeah, I figured you had by the way you were talking

whatever... mythbusters did it LOL... its not likely for a thin piece of aluminum/steel to launch a 4500+ # vehicle end over end... bottom line... it will probably crinkle up and bend first... I know its not likely... bottom line.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Banned

yeah, I figured you had by the way you were talking

whatever... mythbusters did it LOL... its not likely for a thin piece of aluminum/steel to launch a 4500+ # vehicle end over end... bottom line... it will probably crinkle up and bend first... I know its not likely... bottom line.
you believe everything you see on tv? NHRA has that rule for that reason. if you want to argue that rule take it up with NHRA.....

Quick Reply: Who makes a nice drive shaft loop?