Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

who said detroit lockers were noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard was it to set that sucker up? I am getting ready to order mine along with a new set of gears and bearings because I might as well rebuild the whole thing. What did you end up using for a carrier? Many of my buddies say that I shouldn't bother doing it myself but that just gives me more motivation to prove them wrong.

Alex
Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 02_2500avalanche
How hard was it to set that sucker up? I am getting ready to order mine along with a new set of gears and bearings because I might as well rebuild the whole thing. What did you end up using for a carrier? Many of my buddies say that I shouldn't bother doing it myself but that just gives me more motivation to prove them wrong.

Alex
It would have cost me more to buy the tools needed to do the job than it did to pay someone to get everything installed. So thats what I did.
I used a GM open carrier, timken bearings, and the detroit locker.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alex
If you are tauching about a detriot last i heard you couldn't get a detriot for the 11.5" rear. and isn't that the one you have since you have the bigblock.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nope 10.5", the 11.5" is only avaliable in the HD's with the Dmax or 8.1, the 6.0's get the 10.5" and 4l80e instead of the allison. The 2500 suburbans and avalanches get 10.5"s and 4l80e's because the allison wont clear the body and gm was dumb and didn't put body lifts on them like they did with the hd trucks, well actually the just moved the mounting points on them further up so the body would clear the allison.

Alex
Old 05-27-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nope 10.5", the 11.5" is only avaliable in the HD's with the Dmax or 8.1, the 6.0's get the 10.5" and 4l80e instead of the allison. The 2500 suburbans and avalanches get 10.5"s and 4l80e's because the allison wont clear the body and gm was dumb and didn't put body lifts on them like they did with the hd trucks, well actually the just moved the mounting points on them further up so the body would clear the allison.

Alex
actualy the frames on the HD's are bigger that is why an allison clears. they did not body lift them.

MORE: as far as a d-locker being loud what did you get??? a full detroit carrier in a 9" is loud as hell at least in my buds drag camaro. i would think you could hear it in a truck but not as good. what did you get i am only familiar with the whole difs.

02 AV: ditto on letting some one else set up the rear diff. i am hard headed like also and dont let any one work on my stuff but dude let some one who knows what they are doing do it. i do all my stuff but this is something i would watch and then try with profesional advising the first try. the set up is crutal to the life and loudness of the gears. pluss there are tools that are needed.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:45 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado
actualy the frames on the HD's are bigger that is why an allison clears. they did not body lift them.

MORE: as far as a d-locker being loud what did you get??? a full detroit carrier in a 9" is loud as hell at least in my buds drag camaro. i would think you could hear it in a truck but not as good. what did you get i am only familiar with the whole difs.

02 AV: ditto on letting some one else set up the rear diff. i am hard headed like also and dont let any one work on my stuff but dude let some one who knows what they are doing do it. i do all my stuff but this is something i would watch and then try with profesional advising the first try. the set up is crutal to the life and loudness of the gears. pluss there are tools that are needed.
I got the full detroit locker, or, the whole diff. and it is damn quiet.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sleepersilverado

Diff swaps are pretty easy, a good dial indicator and some patience gets it done without a bunch of trouble. Ring and Pinion swaps with a diff replacement are a whole different matter. Those can make you scream or at least your gears can if you get it wrong.

Grippy, glad to hear you are back at it. Now get that puppy to the track!
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Glad to hear that you are back in business.

Probably can't hear that diff over the exhaust anyway. J/K
Old 05-27-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've heard a few of the 9" rears and they were much louder. the truck detroit's i've heard recently were acceptable by far.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:47 PM
what a rush!

lol, I heard the diff today! woohoo. it is a ratcheting sound. seems like on a hard U-turn I got 2-3 ratchets. Nice to have 2 wheels driving. My off the line sprinting has improved, which I like alot

thanks guys, I am signed up for Jun 17th, private trackday

Quick Reply: who said detroit lockers were noisy?