Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

why do i need to raise mph lockup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The stock 4l80e converter is set to lock at WOT from the factory. It's a 72 lb monster, I wouldn't hesitate to lock it up, even with the magnacharger.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
The stock 4l80e converter is set to lock at WOT from the factory. It's a 72 lb monster, I wouldn't hesitate to lock it up, even with the magnacharger.
Aren't the 1500 60E converters set to lock at WOT from the factory also? I wouldn't go with what the factory does and try to apply it to a performance application. Yes, the 80E lockup clutch is a big one, but I wouldn't trust it with 500 lb ft of torque going through it as it engages at 5000 or whatever RPM. Yank doesn't recommend that you lock their converters at WOT, and I'm not even sure about PI's policy on their triple disc. Only tq converter manufacturer that I'm aware of that recommends a WOT lockup is Circle-D...and these are aftermarket performance companies with built units with billet components.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Aren't the 1500 60E converters set to lock at WOT from the factory also? I wouldn't go with what the factory does and try to apply it to a performance application. Yes, the 80E lockup clutch is a big one, but I wouldn't trust it with 500 lb ft of torque going through it as it engages at 5000 or whatever RPM. Yank doesn't recommend that you lock their converters at WOT, and I'm not even sure about PI's policy on their triple disc. Only tq converter manufacturer that I'm aware of that recommends a WOT lockup is Circle-D...and these are aftermarket performance companies with built units with billet components.
PI triple disk are able to lock up at WOT if desired
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The 4l60e converter is not set to lock in trucks, only in vette's I believe.

And for what it's worth, I'd put money on the stock 4l80e converter being stronger than any aftermarket converter. It's 13" in diameter and has been used in buses, dump trucks, diesel powered vehicles, etc. That's a constant beating, not just a transient one. Ask Silver-mod-o what happened to his converter.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

And for what it's worth, I'd put money on the stock 4l80e converter being stronger than any aftermarket converter. It's 13" in diameter and has been used in buses, dump trucks, diesel powered vehicles, etc. That's a constant beating, not just a transient one. Ask Silver-mod-o what happened to his converter.
You are wrong.. The 60/65/70 are all set to lock up from factory..

Also FWIW.. Tha only purpose a lock up was added was for better fuel mileage
Old 11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I find it hard to believe that a factory single disc converter would be stronger than a quality performance triple disc converter with billet components, anti-balloning technology, etc. Let's also not forget that these stock vehicles aren't agressively tuned in an attempt to protect the drivetrain...you just mentioned in an other thread how mild a factory LQ4 tune was
Old 11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Although I do remember reading about some guys having problems with a certain aftermarket 80E converter, and many others breaking hubs on PI 60E convereters...so I will correct myself there somewhat
Old 11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by caddy03pimpin
You are wrong.. The 60/65/70 are all set to lock up from factory..
Show me a stock file that has the converter locking up at WOT in 3rd gear.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Show me a stock file that has the converter locking up at WOT in 3rd gear.
If you have EFI LIve I can send you a stock LQ9 tune so you can see that it IS set to lock at 75MPH in 3rd gear at WOT
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have EFI live. I gone through several 5.3 and 6.0 tunes and never seen it locking up. What year is it?

Quick Reply: why do i need to raise mph lockup