Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Why the Fuddle truck converters are so strong

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why the Fuddle truck converters are so strong

When I told everyone that I was putting a Fuddle 3400 in my truck and that I was going to tow with it everyone said I would blow it up. Well I talked to John at Fuddle Racing today and I asked him why he was so sure it would last under the conditions I was going to put it under. He told me that a regular 9.5" converter has 14 square square cm/in(cant remember if it was inches or centimeters) and the stock converter has 18. His converter for the trucks has 40 that is a huge difference and one big *** clutch. Just figured everyone would like to know how big the clutches are in his converters I plan on thoroughly testing it out once I get all my stuff running right.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vig 9.5 verters have bigger clutch that stocker does.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:34 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
When I told everyone that I was putting a Fuddle 3400 in my truck and that I was going to tow with it everyone said I would blow it up. Well I talked to John at Fuddle Racing today and I asked him why he was so sure it would last under the conditions I was going to put it under. He told me that a regular 9.5" converter has 14 square square cm/in(cant remember if it was inches or centimeters) and the stock converter has 18. His converter for the trucks has 40 that is a huge difference and one big *** clutch. Just figured everyone would like to know how big the clutches are in his converters I plan on thoroughly testing it out once I get all my stuff running right.
cool, keep us up to date
Old 09-13-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am very courious how it will do towing,Lots of clutch lining,ok got that,so it will stay cool as long as its locked up,I am wondering how it will do with a max load up a long grade.Dont know if you know but the converter doesnt always stay locked when your working it.Do you have a temp gauge?How much do you plan to tow? when will you be doing this test?
Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sur he will test it good. Nothing like 4wd 100 shot launches to test a converter right??
Old 09-14-2005, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by white1
Im sur he will test it good. Nothing like 4wd 100 shot launches to test a converter right??
It may be bigger than that once I get it all running right.

I realize when Im going up a hill it will be unlocked and will be creating a **** load of heat. I towed my buddies 7000# boat with the TCI 3000 and my trans temp got up to 185 going up the biggest bridge in town. I figure it should be close to the same. Here in Alabama there are nice mountains to test it on so we will see what kind of trans temps I see. I have the escalade cluster to watch temps and when allen tuned my truck I told him what temp the gauge said and it was dead on with HPT. Looks like I might have to rebuild the engine before I really get to go out and have fun so I may have over 500hp at the crank to play with that should thoroughly test it. I wonder what nitrous assisted towing would do to a converter.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:22 AM

Oh yeah if it turns out its just a valve guide seal messed up then I will test it within the next couple of weeks if it has a toasted ring then it will be mid to late Oct. before I get to have fun with it.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Its amazing,3k stall 7Klbs and the temp stayed low.I am basing it on my 2400,when I have the truck near max loaded that yank feels very slippy,it just seems like if it was much looser it will get hot on the hills.My buddies H&C denali has a 2600Y,he towed 5K 300 miles and the fluid showed signs of heat even though his temp gauge never went past 200 on the hills.We serviced it and its been clean since,he hasnt towed since with it.Precision industies (vig.) says if you want to tow go 2100 stall max.That is what he preached 2 years ago anyways.Keep us informed.Here where I live we have long steep grades that go on for miles,steep enough that sometimes I am in 2nd gear wound out doing 55-60 for 5-10 min. at a time. It would be good to here Craig Burrnets opinion on this.What do you have to do to get yours running right? I couldnt handle nursing something around thats not right,it would have to be corrected immediately.

Last edited by gonzo 6.2; 09-14-2005 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 AM

I think I burnt a piston ring so I may have to rebuild the motor plus I want the stall to stall higher its not stalling all the way to 3400 but I did forget to tell John it was going behind the 5.3 and not the built 6L I was going to do. I have 40,000GVW tranny cooler too everyone else around here has like 28k max. If I remember correctly your buddies denali had the stock cooler on it correct? The stock cooler is a POS all of like 2 square inches of cooling surface I would ditch that thing for sure. Towing the 7000#s was not that bad it definately made it harder to take off from a stop light for sure. It really didnt like locking up either while towing the boat. Ill let you know how it goes. Maybe John will post up some pics of the inside of one of his converters so all you guys can see how beefed up it is. When it comes to TC's I dont really know a whole lot my expertise is more on engines not transmissions thats why I have someone do all that work for me.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've never even heard of a fuddle converter.

Quick Reply: Why the Fuddle truck converters are so strong