Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

will a detroit locker fit in my g80 equiped truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default will a detroit locker fit in my g80 equiped truck?

isn't there some rear diff that only fits in a rear that came with an open carrier?
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
isn't there some rear diff that only fits in a rear that came with an open carrier?
a full detroit locker will fit fine (since it replaces your g80; or the stock carrier in those applications). the lockers you are thinking of are the "lunchbox lockers": powertrax lockright and the trachtech ezlocker. they replace the spider gears and require an open carrier.

basically, any locker or lsd that replaces the open carrier (or g80) will work fine for you.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use those E-z locker or Lock-right, but they are weaker than stock. For light of roading they do fine, but for performance they are trouble. They do make a regular Detroit C-Locker for the 8.5/8.6 now though. There is also the new gearless locker and powertrax no-slip which both go into stock cases w/o the noise of the other lockers.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Talking

Check sig...also check here.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by storm5.3
Check sig...also check here.
sorry to sink your boat but what you have is not so great. like stated before it is no stronger than stock realy.

now parish a locker is loud and annoying. but since you dont drive the truck all the time it would not be so bad. although i will say from experience with a f-bod drag car how annoying a locker is i though about and will prob end up putting one in my daily driver. i have not looked into it for like 1.5 years so i dont know what they have now but if they offer one it will hold.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:10 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the locker i am talking about, 2nd one down >> http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/cat43.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running that same unit in my 10 bolt so it should fit yours. also a locker isn't bad on the street like everyone thinks it is, once you get use to when to be on the gas and when to be off its perrty quiet and doesn't seem much differant then the stock g80.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:23 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
this is the locker i am talking about, 2nd one down >> http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/cat43.htm
Those will fit your rear. It doesnt matter if it was open or posi at all. The other ones that I mentioned reuse the stock case and go inside of it. That is a C-locker, which is just a regular Detroit locker designed for C-clip axles. They are pretty tough if you dont mind the noise.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mzoomora
You can use those E-z locker or Lock-right, but they are weaker than stock. For light of roading they do fine, but for performance they are trouble. They do make a regular Detroit C-Locker for the 8.5/8.6 now though. There is also the new gearless locker and powertrax no-slip which both go into stock cases w/o the noise of the other lockers.
so are you saying the powertrax lock right is weak or the no slip? or both? I have a powertrax no slip locker that I paid 419.00 for through summit and it seems to be doing great.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
14 Second Truck Club

They are both weak. Whne you take the stock diff case and add additional stress to it it becomes weaker. If it is a borderlne application it will break. The no slip is better than the lock-right though, but I would not reccomend it for performance.

Quick Reply: will a detroit locker fit in my g80 equiped truck?