Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

will a detroit locker just drop in? no reshiming the sides?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default will a detroit locker just drop in? no reshiming the sides?

i put an eaton posi in my last truck and it just droped in, no side shiming changes were required. i am geting ready to order a posi carier and was thinking about going with an eaton again just for this reason.

has anyone put in a detroit locker and if so did it just drop in or need adjusted?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you got the full carrier detriot then it should be like the eaton but i would still cheak backlash and run a pattern to be safe. and the timken barrings that came with mine arn't the right ones for the 8.6 rear.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
How do I change this text

I have a shim kit I never used with my eaton. If you want them, Let me know.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

I installed a detroit true track and I love it! I will never own a clutched posi again. very smooth. It droped right in with no shim changes. I just swapped bearings and ring gear and the backlash was no more than .0005 off. I got for around $340 from randy's ring and pinion.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

I was unaware that the detroit true trac would fit a NBS 10 bolt. Did they finally re-design it to work b/c the true trac would only work in the OBS.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redneck01z71
I was unaware that the detroit true trac would fit a NBS 10 bolt. Did they finally re-design it to work b/c the true trac would only work in the OBS.
I guess so. The carrier bearings are the main difference if I remember correctly. I put a 2000 G80 in my 1995 GMC. I had to go to the parts store and dig through the bearing dimension book until I found what I needed.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't know about Detroit but I just finished installing a Powertrax and it just dropped in a couple pieces at a time. It took about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole install. That's including quit a bit of time scraping the old gasket off, having to back track because I wouldn't follow directions
Old 09-30-2005, 04:49 PM
8 Second Club

it should drop right in without any reshimming, but i would check the backlash anyways
Old 09-30-2005, 08:27 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a 50/50 thing at best. I would say the majority require re shimming. Just make sure you chevk the backlash before and after. Just becuase the after is within spec doesnt mean itis the same, and that can cause some noise. You may get lucky though, so it is always worth a try- just have some shims waiting. I may even have some here.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Its a 50/50 thing at best. I would say the majority require re shimming. Just make sure you chevk the backlash before and after. Just becuase the after is within spec doesnt mean itis the same, and that can cause some noise. You may get lucky though, so it is always worth a try- just have some shims waiting. I may even have some here.
thats interesting. i never thought of matching the backlash but just making sure it was within specs.

i liked my eaton with clutches. quiet and it did the job. what would the benifits to a detroit locker be over an eaton other than the clutches wearing out.

i hope to order something on monday and maybe be on the road and back to the track going for my 9 sec slip in a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: will a detroit locker just drop in? no reshiming the sides?