Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

will this driveshaft fit? *pic*

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert91RS
No, I'm 2wd but mine measured about 64.5 iirc. Hows it look bolted up?
ill find out tomorrow morning (our time) which is about 9 hours away, but I have a feeling it will either fit an extremely tight fit, something like how gadgetized's driveshaft fits, or it will just not fit.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would be very surprised at how little the shaft moves forward through the complete cycle of the suspension. When I got my new shaft I had the same concerns. I drove to the shop, and showed the pic to the guy, and he said that is exactly how they like them to fit. I was still wondering, so I removed the shocks, and took a video of the yoke movement when I was maxing the suspension out. I am on vacation now, and will see if I still have that video when I get home. But like I said, if you can install it, it isn't too short.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
You would be very surprised at how little the shaft moves forward through the complete cycle of the suspension. When I got my new shaft I had the same concerns. I drove to the shop, and showed the pic to the guy, and he said that is exactly how they like them to fit. I was still wondering, so I removed the shocks, and took a video of the yoke movement when I was maxing the suspension out. I am on vacation now, and will see if I still have that video when I get home. But like I said, if you can install it, it isn't too short.
interesting!

Thanks, I will test fit the shaft tomorrow and hopes it fits fine! I will post back.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

it looks like its gonna tear up your tranny, ive been there and done that..... You can always cut down the slip yoke if you need to so it dosent bottom out in your transmission. Like previously stated you need to have atleast 1/2" to 3/4" left for travel! Do this, put the new drive shaft in and get about 5 guys to jump in the bed of the truck, if your hear something hitting it will be your yoke hitting in your transmission, take the ds back out and cut some of the slip yoke down, put it back in and try again, cut a little at a time and be sure to bevel the edge so it slips by the seal without damaging it!