Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

will drop void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-05-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tiburon
Only suspension components and any failures cuased by the drop.
The law is the Magnuson-Moss Act (1972) in that you can do what ever you want to your truck as long as what you did didnt cause the problem. The law was based on car alarms but has been used as precedence for all aftermarket warenty work.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/magnuson_moss_act.htm
Old 01-05-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hyper
the warranty questions need to stop, there needs to be a sticky about it. its common sense, the same answer everytime.... GM obviously isnt going to warranty a part thats not theres. one part isnt gonna void the warranty on the whole trucks suspension or engine. if THAT specific part screws something up, then no ofcourse they wont warranty it. like thier not going to blame the aftermarket headers because the intake fuked up
Dude..Chill!!!!!

It really depends a lot on where you take it and if that dealer is mod friendly. When I blew up my first engine, I had an aftermarket warranty. Hey, needed it due to the amount of miles I was driving at the time. They told the dealer that if the truck was altered in any way that they may void the warranty. Now yes, I know about the MMA, but when something breaks, you want the remedy to be painless. Asking our local dealer there policy is a very good place to start. But the guys are right about the part moded has to be proven that it was the problem to void the warranty. BTW, the shop left it on the lift when the inspector came to look at the engine just to be safe since it was lowered. That's what a mod friendly dealer will do for you.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I aksed the my service guy about it when I had the 03 and he told me if wouldn't afffect much of the warranty. He said they would still cover a shock if it failed. depends on who you talk to I guess.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GREGGO
Dude..Chill!!!!!

But the guys are right about the part moded has to be proven that it was the problem to void the warranty. BTW, the shop left it on the lift when the inspector came to look at the engine just to be safe since it was lowered. That's what a mod friendly dealer will do for you.
Greggo is right - really depends on the dealer - which depends on the service manager
I notice that the dealers that sell alot of Vettes and Camaros - were accomodating of A/M items.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:28 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

It really depends a lot on where you take it and if that dealer is mod friendly. When I blew up my first engine, I had an aftermarket warranty. Hey, needed it due to the amount of miles I was driving at the time. They told the dealer that if the truck was altered in any way that they may void the warranty. Now yes, I know about the MMA, but when something breaks, you want the remedy to be painless. Asking our local dealer there policy is a very good place to start. But the guys are right about the part moded has to be proven that it was the problem to void the warranty. BTW, the shop left it on the lift when the inspector came to look at the engine just to be safe since it was lowered. That's what a mod friendly dealer will do for you.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Launching!

They voided my whole truck when I cut the frame and put in the C-notch ..

Oh well , they never did me right anyways ..
Old 01-09-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SierraSport
They voided my whole truck when I cut the frame and put in the C-notch ..

Oh well , they never did me right anyways ..
So notching the frame affected your door locks,radio,windows and such. Thats total BS. As stated above the entire vehicles warranty can not be void. Thay have to be able to prove that the failure was caused by the modification. I work at a chevy dealer in service so I know a little. Tell your dealer to f-themselves. It would be safe to say your frame isnt warrantable anymore
Old 01-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Yeah , I know .. but like I siad , they never did me right . So I just fix it myself now ..