Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Will this work for my TruTrac?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work for my TruTrac?

I installed 3.73's with a TruTrac a few months back, and since then I have noticed that a lot of other guys are using just regular conventional oil, NOT synthetic. Since then I have done a lot of research on here and everyone says to run a "dino" conventional oil. The manual says to run what is "designed to operate in those lubricants recommended by the vehicle/axle manufacturer for conventional differentials." I am currently running Redline synthetic and I will be changing the oil in it very soon. I was just wondering if this would be fine? Thanks

Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I have in mine. I will be swapping gears next spring, and will be using it again unless I hear otherwise in the mean time.

Edit: come to think of it, I can't remember the gear weight I used. I know for certain it wasn't synthetic though. I will see if I can find a bottle next time I get to the shop.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That says its for a limited slip which means it has the friction modifier.
Not gonna hurt anything but it calls for regular ole dino oil.

Ive run lucas oil stabilizer in mine 100% with the g80 years ago cause its all i had and needed to drive it that next morning. Ran it several thousand miles till i swapped in the eaton lsd.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that it did say limited slip on it and I went to the valvoline website and found the exact same bottle which doesn't say limited slip. I cannot find a bottle on their website that says limited slip on it. The bottles I have say nothing about limited slips, just that their recommended for for al hypoid diffs (conventional and Limited Slip) Maybe it just means that its safe to run in an LSD? It doesnt say that it has the friction modifier or any special additive in it so Im not sure what I'm going to do! -Thanks for the replies