Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

At wits end with my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At wits end with my truck.

Okay, so I have aquired what has seemed to be a misfire at cruising speeds and definetly noticeable under a load. But heavy accelerating or WOT it pulls like nothing is wrong.

When it does it, the truck kind of bucks or jerks then it will smooth out and start jerking again sporadically.

The worse it gets I notice a noise coming from the transfer case/rear transmission area under the truck. I borrowed a buddies hptuners to try to find any problems with the engine while driving and everything seemed normal while it was acting up. It didn't misfire but two times on one cylinder while I was data logging according to hptuners.

I didn't hear the cats rattle when I hit them so I assume they are still together.

I have yet to get a chance to check fuel pressure.

Other than that I'm kinda at a loss of what it could be. I guess tomorrow I'll change the plugs and wires, clean the mass air and throttle body.

Oh to top it off it hasn't thrown the first code....

2006 silverado 5.3 auto 4x4
6 in lift 35s 4.88s
Old 10-30-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Check your u joints.... Just a thought!!
Old 10-31-2015, 12:27 AM
Launching!

I have already.

I forgot to mention that in the past two weeks the service 4wd in the info center has been coming on too. So that led me to thinking maybe it's trying to engage 4wd on its own but I made sure it was in 2wd and unplugged the encoder motor and the front diff actuator and didn't change anything.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you have right idea..... Doesnt sound like an engine runability issue
Old 10-31-2015, 09:17 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Only time I've ever actually seen/felt a problem like you're describing was when my crank was coming into contact with the main bearings...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Only time I've ever actually seen/felt a problem like you're describing was when my crank was coming into contact with the main bearings...
Wouldnt that also have an oil pressure issue??
Old 10-31-2015, 10:02 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Wouldnt that also have an oil pressure issue??
Yep lol. Felt just like a misfire though. High rpm/increased oil pressure masked the problem.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thought so.... Ive seen tcase issues that ended up feeling like whats hes describing too....been awhile so dont remeber what it was wanna say the snap ring on output that breaks....
Old 10-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Okay so new plugs and wires, they were needed anyways, didn't help.

Swapped some known good coil packs, no different.

But now when I cranked it the first time after putting the original coil packs back on I forgot to plug the drivers side in so I cut it off plugged them in cut it back on and it threw a cel so I checked the codes thinking it would be a misfire code and these pulled up.

P0107-map circuit low-intermittent
P0522-oil pressure sensor circuit low-confirmed
P0641-sensor reference voltage circuit a open-confirmed

So apparently now I have lost my sensor reference 5v voltage and the truck idles rough. I don't know if this was part of my original issue or not. But I'm pretty sure I didn't pinch any wires
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Okay so I pulled out my meter to see what ref voltage was on my map sensor and it was around 3.1v so I decided to check my oil pressure sending units ref voltage and it was 5v with both unplugged so I checked the map again and it was 5v now. Just to make sure I plugged in the oil pressure unit again and checked map ref voltage again and it was 3.7v this time. So I'm thinking my o/p sending unit is shorted causing reference voltage to be pulled down.

So whats the chances that it being shorted was affecting my MAP causing it to act like it was?

Quick Reply: At wits end with my truck.