Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Wobble-ONLY at top of hard launch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wobble-ONLY at top of hard launch?

So...I put it away in November for winter storage hoping the storage fairy's would fix this but...If I do hard launch (like 1/4 mile or equiv), I get a serious wobble out of the front end when I go to stop/slow down. I have ruled out warped rotor or brake issues as it ONLY happens in these conditions and NOT in any highway or local driving events.
Im wondering if its just a 100mph+ speed wobble (hence balancing issue) or if I need steering stabilizer (steering on these Chevs is sooo loose that I'd love to tighten it up), or if the transfer case is the prob (I do get the SERVICE4WD code every once in a while and thot it was just an encoder issue - but it doesnt work in 4wd/AWD for any length of time before throwing codes).

ANY IDEAS?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First I would be sure it isn't the rotor by checking them. I would take the wheel off, use spacer, and tighten bolts down securing the rotor to the hub the way it rides down the road. Then check the runout to make sure they are not only not warped, but also sitting nice and flush on the hub. More than likely that isn't your problem, or you would feel it in the pedal. Then I would check all of your steering pieces, ball joints, tie rod ends, basically anything that could let the wheel wobble. When the wheel is trying to hold back a vehicle at that speed, there is a lot of force on it. If there was something loose, it would make the wheel turn outward under force like that, and might give you your wobble.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thnx! I'll do all that and report back...as soon as this monsoon stops! Frankly I am kinda thinkin some steering linkage parts migt be loose...
Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

That's what happens when your rotors get super hot. When they cool, they get flat again. Keep doing it though, and they will stay warped. Then you get them turned and they are fine, until the first high-speed stop. Then the warp comes back and stays again. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That's what happens when your rotors get super hot. When they cool, they get flat again. Keep doing it though, and they will stay warped. Then you get them turned and they are fine, until the first high-speed stop. Then the warp comes back and stays again. Ask me how I know.
Baer 2 piece rotors...shudnt happen...