Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

WTB rear locker and gears. Where do I start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do that for me. Damn the locker alone is bank. They have an alternative "PT 1955" for $330 I might consider that. The gears and install kit are another $207 and $130. Does not look like this will be a $500 job. HAHA Hell I might just cash out on the locker idea. Not like I wheel this thing.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

NO do no not get a "lunch box" locker. either go with a full detroit or the eaton i posted. personally i would go with the full detroit and its cheaper.

fwiw i spent $1010 on parts for my gear swap (4x4) that included
front and rear ring and pinion and master install kit
detriot tru trac for the rear.
labor was another 300 per axle
Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah it stated NOT FOR HIGH HP OR BIG TIRES. I am not sure what I will do than. Looks like the gears and master kit for sure. I might just save up for the locker. Were not doing any camping for the next couple months so I have time. Again I want to thank you for the help. I was really starting from scratch. Sorta kicking myself in the *** for getting a 4X2 but at the time we did not have a trailer. I was using it only for the car and it was fine.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

anytime man, and yea it should also state DO NOT BUY... lol
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

with that big of a tire, and you still want to be able to tow 23' trailer...
4.88 has to be the minimum, depending on how often you drive it and pull i might even recommend 5.13's...
and if you dont want to break the bank on a posi, just find a used l/s out of another HD...
Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am definately going with 5.13's now. Where can I find a stock HD l/s??? I am assuming you are referring to a stock lsd? That would be PERFECT
Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teddyca
I am definately going with 5.13's now. Where can I find a stock HD l/s??? I am assuming you are referring to a stock lsd? That would be PERFECT
it would be the stock G80. it will be listed as a RPO code in the glovebox. i advise against it only because they suck completely. it would be a total waste to get it IMO.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its funny you say that. I spoke to my tech last night and he thought it was not the greatest idea as well. With 37" tires he was concerned with the gernating if you will of the stock locker. He told me he has seen his fair share of 8.5" rears back to the dealer because guys lifted them and the locker explooded. I guess there is a weight of some sort that makes this all work??? I dont know **** about how it all works but soaked in all I could. He did say he has never seen a 9.5" come back with issues, but was still on the fence. In any case I am ordering a 5.13 today and the master kit. I will figure out the locker when the time comes. We are going to check with a couple techs today and see if they have a G80 laying around. If I can get one for a couple bucks I will do that. If not I might just skip on the locker. I ALL honesty Being a true Corvette guy I was looking forward to smoking 2 YES 2 37" tires off the line not one. HAHA With the stock locker I might be doing this rear diff more than once.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

how good are the yukon duragrip posi units?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by teddyca
Its funny you say that. I spoke to my tech last night and he thought it was not the greatest idea as well. With 37" tires he was concerned with the gernating if you will of the stock locker. He told me he has seen his fair share of 8.5" rears back to the dealer because guys lifted them and the locker explooded. I guess there is a weight of some sort that makes this all work??? I dont know **** about how it all works but soaked in all I could. He did say he has never seen a 9.5" come back with issues, but was still on the fence. In any case I am ordering a 5.13 today and the master kit. I will figure out the locker when the time comes. We are going to check with a couple techs today and see if they have a G80 laying around. If I can get one for a couple bucks I will do that. If not I might just skip on the locker. I ALL honesty Being a true Corvette guy I was looking forward to smoking 2 YES 2 37" tires off the line not one. HAHA With the stock locker I might be doing this rear diff more than once.

a regear is expensive ****. if it were me i would buy what i could afford now and put off what i couldnt later then have it all done at the same time.

but to each his own

Quick Reply: WTB rear locker and gears. Where do I start