Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Wtf

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wtf

I went on night shift last night, so to keep myself up Tuesday night so I could sleep during the day yesterday, I decided to slap a vette servo on the new "work" truck. While digging around in my shop I found my old billet servo FLT put in my level 5 for the white truck. I figured "hell, Vince uses these for a reason" and put it in too. Man, it felt nice. No shift kit, but quicker shifts in all the gears!!
Well this morning on my way home, it seemed as though my converter wouldn't stay locked. A few miles later, it wouldn't lock at all, a few miles after that, it wouldn't hold 4th gear at all. 3rd still pulls good though. I dropped the shifter in "3" and made it home. What gives? Hoping I didn't **** anything up, but all I can think of is
a) due to sitting on the shelf maybe the billet servo is "hung up" or
b) maybe it's a hair low on fluid due to it being cooler this morning than when I topped it off?
I installe the servos Tuesday night and all went well. Put about 70-100 miles on it yesterday with no issues whatsoever. Then tired off my ***, babying the sob it does this to me. Damn I hate these 4l60's!!
Old 04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Orrr
c) not having the reataining ring all the way in.

I checked it over and over and over when I put everything back together. It was dark, guess I didnt see what I thought I saw.

Climbed under the truck to swap the stock OD servo back in and noticed one drop of trans fluid on the Billet servo.
As I was getting the pry bar in place to remove the retaining ring, I noticed one end was sticking out, and an another side, it wasnt completely seated. Not sure how and the HELL I didnt break the case, especially with my luck, but snapped it back in good, double checked it again for a third time, and took her for a test spin. All seems GTG. Hope it stays together at least till I get back home tomorrow morning
Old 04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad it was a quick fix Matt.
how do the shifts feel? i believe i have the same billet servo assembly just sitting around, if it's the sonnax ones. might put it in my Z.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

seems like you and iamkeniff are both pretty lucky.. he put in his vette and billets servos and when he got to my house something wasnt right... same thing, ring wasnt seated... no cracked case or anything, but his didnt just pop back in... had to do a lil persuading...
Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Lance. They all feel a little firmer. Definate more positive shifts. Like I said, it's no replacement for a true shift kit, but definatly takes some slop out.

Skipper, acording to my black cloud, I caught him slipping. The case was supposed to explode on my way home after my first night on night shift while crossing the bridge into baton rouge leaving me tired and stranded on top of the bridge leaking transmission fluid into the Mississippi river
Old 04-13-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had the same problem when i first had my servo in, took a look underneath and saw that retaining ring not seated. quick fix, but definite scare.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you put a motor in it... go ahead and get a 80e.. especially with your history... hehe.. im so glad i did it.. im no longer scared to punch it everytime im in it... it also gave me what i didnt have before.. top end...
Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done that before on my friends tranny. Everything was jammed in there took like 30 minutes to get it all out and re do
Old 04-15-2010, 07:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by fredkj3
when you put a motor in it... go ahead and get a 80e.. especially with your history... hehe.. im so glad i did it.. im no longer scared to punch it everytime im in it... it also gave me what i didnt have before.. top end...
The 80 is in the build plans