Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

WTF??? Tranny RE-Resurrected from dead.. puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Stupid question but you've checked the fluid level right?
yes, fluid stays full, clean red and not burnt smelling. So Im puzzled, it even is a lil too full, but nothing to worry about. fluid is good, I also run 2 full size tranny cooler as well as the radiator cooler. Stall is a 4000 rpm 9.5" diameter.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I think you have a PCM or a Wireing issue. The Neutral Safety/Gear selector switch may also not be located properly as well.

You did not mention what you did as far as the conversion goes for the wiring.

Also were are you getting the transmissions from??? Used or Rebuilt???
Neutral switch is in the correct position, but Im going to replace it with the original style switch that came with my year truck and wire harness. Right now Im runing the newer style connector from the 2007 harness.

Im thinking its the wiring at this point. I know I used a relay which could be the faulty culprit for the hard shift 1-2. The relay could be sticking. The relay inverts the polarity on that solenoid. I run NO PMW, and NO TQ management of any kind. The truck is working excellent, so its in the Wiring somewhere, Ill be looking at it today. I also plan to wire up the 2nd VSS sensor to the PCM as well. Im only runing it off the rear VSS. But it was tuned, and ran perfect before.

Tuner recommended I send the PCM off to get re segmented, but I couldn't have the truck down back then. I am going to get a new tune for the gears and get the PCM re segmented at that point.

The transmissions are used: 1st 80e 1998 had 100k and had no reverse. Ran like a topper. 2nd 80e which is in the truck, is actually a 4l85e 2007 with 30k miles out of a side T-bone collision. Had the title with that one. Ran NEW. Now it drives like it did from day #1! My 3rd 80e is a GM Goodwrench 2004 Rebuild. I got just to have a backup.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vince B
Make sure to update this thread in a few more road tests when its back the way it was when you parked it!
I sure will. How long do you think it take a week or days? cause its on day 3 right now, of me giving it HELL. You are implying it to be a physical problem, when the characteristics of what is happening, is similar to what my 1st tranny did randomly shudder at sometimes.

I will be totally redoing my wires just to rule that out today. Going to replace the relay that is tapped to the tranny harness too. Just beat the truck up again and seems to drive fine.

I do have CEL which are tranny solenoid last I checked, and 02 sensors, random missfire. So I dont know if its all a relation to the problem.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All three of those DTC related issues have been known to cause trans havoc... Fix the known problems and go from there.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by sleeperlqx
I also run 2 full size tranny cooler as well as the radiator cooler.
Doesnt that cause a quite a loss in pressure?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I think you have a PCM or a Wireing issue. The Neutral Safety/Gear selector switch may also not be located properly as well.
I could be wrong but I do not believe this issue is wiring or pcm related. A 4l80e will have reverse with no power or even with the harness disconnected. I'll have to look at the oil diagrams when I get some time but I still believe the issue is internal. Stuck check ball, welded clutch, damaged seal or a partially broken hard part would be the ones I would think are the culprit to this issue.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

doesnt the new gears u installed maybe have something to do with it. I know when i went from 3.73 to 4.56s i had to retune. It done something to my trans and had brake light on all the time.

I have come to realize i hate chasing a trans problem!!!!