Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

XMSN X-member..Why is mine differnt? 60-80E swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Mines 6" too, once you get trans in please let me know.... Im in process of building another 4l60e as we speak, but if the swap wont necessarily require a new rear ds i may just go ahead and sell the trans im building, the one in the truck(after i go through it) and the two wheel drive core i have and get an 80 and find a 261hd or xhd tcase and roll with the swap, i can get the 2500 ds no problem..... Especially if i just need to flip crossmember around... Or can use one from a 2500 which there are a lot of...uh hmmm... Extra holes in my frane that really make me wonder!!!!!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

What tires and rims you run.... Love the front bumper too bad it would severely interfere with my winch....
Old 09-21-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, i also realized tonight when i had my truck on a lift those goofy *** brackets that come off the frane to top of xmember, bolt in at the frame side when my trans cones out again so is the one on the passenger side....
Old 09-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Oh, i also realized tonight when i had my truck on a lift those goofy *** brackets that come off the frane to top of xmember, bolt in at the frame side when my trans cones out again so is the one on the passenger side....
Yeah its just the on the top side of the cross-member there is two angled brackets that im more worried about, why not just change the input shaft of the tcase, thats what im doing, probably cheaper wince they are the same tcases.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wrecker 426
Yeah its just the on the top side of the cross-member there is two angled brackets that im more worried about, why not just change the input shaft of the tcase, thats what im doing, probably cheaper wince they are the same tcases.
You talking about the two brackets that come from the top of the frame down at like a 45* angle.... They unbolt from the frame.... Not even sure the purpose of them considering they bolt, in they arent structural.... Most structural parts are welded or riveted!!! If i can pick up a used hd or xhd for less than id pay for the input id go that route and rebuild mine with the new input and case saver, but im thinking i need new case half anyway... Back side of my t case is wet and havent had heart to clean it up to check for the hole yet.... Hoping it just my slip yoke being backed out so far....
Old 09-22-2015, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Mines 6" too, once you get trans in please let me know.... Im in process of building another 4l60e as we speak, but if the swap wont necessarily require a new rear ds i may just go ahead and sell the trans im building, the one in the truck(after i go through it) and the two wheel drive core i have and get an 80 and find a 261hd or xhd tcase and roll with the swap, i can get the 2500 ds no problem..... Especially if i just need to flip crossmember around... Or can use one from a 2500 which there are a lot of...uh hmmm... Extra holes in my frane that really make me wonder!!!!!
Rebuilt NP246 Transfer Case Rebuild Kits and Parts plus parts Illustration! Quality Parts. - Drivetrain
this is the site i used and it cost 164$

What tires and rims you run.... Love the front bumper too bad it would severely interfere with my winch....
XD Badlands 20x9, want 20x12, the bumper me a friend built in the garage in a weekend, wouldnt have been to expensive but the front skid plate 95$ made it come out to around 325$ total. the plate is just 66 bolts, left it that way so i can weld in brackets later for a winch. then just cut a new skid plate.

You talking about the two brackets that come from the top of the frame down at like a 45* angle.... They unbolt from the frame.... Not even sure the purpose of them considering they bolt, in they arent structural.... Most structural parts are welded or riveted!!! If i can pick up a used hd or xhd for less than id pay for the input id go that route and rebuild mine with the new input and case saver, but im thinking i need new case half anyway... Back side of my t case is wet and havent had heart to clean it up to check for the hole yet.... Hoping it just my slip yoke being backed out so far....
I guess i miss read the post i quoted, i did not know they removed also. to much sand and rust under there to see sometimes...lol. When i drop them in the garage ill take a closer look at it then. Or maybe today when iget up the courage, got the flu last night and it whooped my ***.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Wrecker 426
Rebuilt NP246 Transfer Case Rebuild Kits and Parts plus parts Illustration! Quality Parts. - Drivetrain
this is the site i used and it cost 164$

XD Badlands 20x9, want 20x12, the bumper me a friend built in the garage in a weekend, wouldnt have been to expensive but the front skid plate 95$ made it come out to around 325$ total. the plate is just 66 bolts, left it that way so i can weld in brackets later for a winch. then just cut a new skid plate.

I guess i miss read the post i quoted, i did not know they removed also. to much sand and rust under there to see sometimes...lol. When i drop them in the garage ill take a closer look at it then. Or maybe today when iget up the courage, got the flu last night and it whooped my ***.
I have the np261, need to do some more searching, im ways off from 80 swap right now have other things to get straightened put before i go throwing that in the mix...

Its a Nice bumper.... Maybe someday ill do something similar!! Im debating on goin 20s on my truck and running a slightly shorter tire, hopefully one thats a bit lighter, my wheel/tire combo weigh about 115-120lbs, and im kinda tired of the tires just slightly rubbing on the bottom of my fenders on turns.... If i could drop 20-30lbs per wheel/tire id be happy.......

I didnt realized they unbolted until i was under my truck last night and looking at what id need to do to remove them.... The passenger side wouldve been out last night if it werent for my exhaust being in the way....

Hope you feel better, i been dealing with some stomach bug crap for few days!!!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Fyi this is what that bracket i was talking about looks like right before it went in trash can!!!!
Attached Thumbnails XMSN X-member..Why is mine differnt? 60-80E swap-image.jpg  
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

sub'd just bought a 99 Z71 ext cab for cheap with the 60e slipping. Curious how hard/easy itd be to toss a 80 in there instead
Old 09-25-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

99 actually lookin like most direct swap.... As far as crossmember modifications go, new or modified driveshafts, wiring and tune.... And either transfer case from a truck with an 80 or new tcase input shaft to mate up.... Im sure im missing something, but thats the jest of what ive found so far!!! Havent done swap yet but with a 6" lift the rear shaft may not need to be shortened.... Have no verification on this however my slip yoke is currently out of my tailshaft by lil over 3 inches.... And thats to the hood on the seal

Quick Reply: XMSN X-member..Why is mine differnt? 60-80E swap