Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Yep, another tranny problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KySilverado
OD is slipping badly. Driving home tonight up a small grade around 70 mph. I give it a little gas and it unlocks the TC and slip city. Had been acting a little strange for a couple weeks now. Mild acceleration in cruise kind of felt like the TC was stalling, now know that it was OD slipping. Also building a little more heat than usual. Still pulls fine 1st through 3rd and with the TC locked.

I am seriously bummed out. Gonna get hold of FLT tomorrow and see what my options are. I really do not want to do a 4l80 but then again don't want to pull transmissions every year.
Have you Data logged and tune your TCC pressures and settings, I have found that the stock GM programing allows the TCC to slip 50 to 100 rpm almost all the time and that they try to lock it up at WOT in third gear with the stock programing.

I'm still running the Stock (except for shift kit and vett servo's and lots of trans tuning) transmission, I have over 20,000 hard *** miles on it at 11.5 to 12.0psi of boost, and also remember Tourqe Managment is your friend during shifts I have TM pulling timming down to -2.0deg at the shifts and it shifts nice and firm.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
Have you Data logged and tune your TCC pressures and settings, I have found that the stock GM programing allows the TCC to slip 50 to 100 rpm almost all the time and that they try to lock it up at WOT in third gear with the stock programing.

I'm still running the Stock (except for shift kit and vett servo's and lots of trans tuning) transmission, I have over 20,000 hard *** miles on it at 11.5 to 12.0psi of boost, and also remember Tourqe Managment is your friend during shifts I have TM pulling timming down to -2.0deg at the shifts and it shifts nice and firm.
TCC pressure is not PCM controlled on mine. It has a vacuum modulator. I've also removed the TCC lock 3rd gear WOT.

I do need to look at the tune I think. Particularly the TCC unlock at cruise. It is a very firm jolt dropping down into OD cruising.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'[d be looking more at the converter than the trans honestly... my Vig let go in fron of my FLT as well... just FYI
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TCC pressure is not PCM controlled on mine.
So yo don't have this table or your not using it?

TCC DUTY CYCLE MINIMUM.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
TCC.doc (96.0 KB, 157 views)
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I'[d be looking more at the converter than the trans honestly... my Vig let go in fron of my FLT as well... just FYI
Still pulls like a **** 1st through 3rd just like it always has so don't believe its the converter.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LBSBLOWN
So yo don't have this table or your not using it?

TCC DUTY CYCLE MINIMUM.
Table is still there it just doesn't do anything. Still has the factory settings in it.

Thanks for the TCC table. I need to revisit those settings.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Still pulls like a **** 1st through 3rd just like it always has so don't believe its the converter.
my lock up clutch **** the bed, so it pulled fine thorough 1st, and 2nd as well but as soon as it tried to lock up in 3rd, it got ugly...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
This is the 1st FLT tranny I've heard of with an issue. I'm curious to see what it is.
First one I've heard about with any issues too. I hope it's something cheap and simple
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
my lock up clutch **** the bed, so it pulled fine thorough 1st, and 2nd as well but as soon as it tried to lock up in 3rd, it got ugly...
It's slipping OD (4th gear) TCC unlocked. Pulls okay at cruise, slips maybe 40 to 50% throttle.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trever1t
First one I've heard about with any issues too. I hope it's something cheap and simple
Me too. I don't know jack about A/T's. Thinking 4th gear band is now burnt or maybe the OD servo? Probably not an expensive fix. Soft parts. Just getting it out and back in, shipping.

It is kind of unusual as far as the failures I've read about.

Quick Reply: Yep, another tranny problem thread