Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Yet another tranny diagnostic request

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Yet another tranny diagnostic request

I recently changed my tranny pan/filter/fluid. See HERE

Everything checked out pretty good and I put it all back together and have been driving it for over a week with no issues. This morning I go to pull out into traffic (after the truck was at operating temp and the tranny needle was just beginning to move, it was 30* this morning) anyway...I gave it about 25% or so throttle and I felt a vibration like pulse modulation and I barely moved. After a split second it fully engaged and I took off as expected. My first thought was cold tranny/thick fluid something in the tranny didn't like that. But on the way home this afternoon it sort of did it again. Almost felt like it did a 1-2 shift. The converter flashed a few hundred rpm and then I moved. Now, the normal 1-2 and 2-3 up and down shifts are crisp and fine it's only when in first from a stop or low throttle does it do this. Once it engages I can nail it and it wont slip at all. I did a manual down shift to see if it would slip going down, went from 2 to 1 and almost slammed my head into the steering wheel It definitely grabbed, guess I was going a little too fast for a 1st gear drop. Could this pulse width modulation acting up or are my clutch pack starting their way to garbage can? Experts, go! I will check back in 10 minutes and expect a comprehensive answer and solution.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are screwed just give up and give me your blower

Sorry nothing worht a **** to answer to the thread just thought I would put a smart *** remark in your thread since you are so good at putting them in mine
Old 02-13-2006, 09:21 PM

I do what I can
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 PM

BTW, I did the math.

16 months on PT.Net
6500 posts
That's 406 a month or 13 a day.
1Slow01Z71=Post *****
Mods will delete but, its funny right now.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recheck your tranny fluid level. Check on level surface, running in park, & at normal operating temp.
Could be too low or too high.
If this fails to fix problem, you may want to remove the pan again and check any servo connections around the edges of the pan. There is one that is very close if I'm not mistaken.
Or you could add a tranny additive like Lucas or equivelant. That may help things quite a bit.
How many miles are on it anyways?
If you haven't been changing your fluid every 25,000 miles, then it was probably a bad idea changing it at a high miliage change.
This seems to happen quite a bit at high miliage tranny fluid changes.
Hope you don't have to rebuild the tranny anytime soon.

Jim
Old 02-14-2006, 12:04 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
BTW, I did the math.

16 months on PT.Net
6500 posts
That's 406 a month or 13 a day.
1Slow01Z71=Post *****
Mods will delete but, its funny right now.
You could ahve just lcicked on my user profile. Its 12.98 to be exact. I had a job for 9 months where I satin front of a computer all day 5 out of the 6 working days and the last month I havent had a job since Im waiting for my new job to go through which is taking forever so I sit on a couple of forums and post ***** all day
Old 02-14-2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Recheck your tranny fluid level. Check on level surface, running in park, & at normal operating temp.
Could be too low or too high.
If this fails to fix problem, you may want to remove the pan again and check any servo connections around the edges of the pan. There is one that is very close if I'm not mistaken.
Or you could add a tranny additive like Lucas or equivelant. That may help things quite a bit.
How many miles are on it anyways?
If you haven't been changing your fluid every 25,000 miles, then it was probably a bad idea changing it at a high miliage change.
This seems to happen quite a bit at high miliage tranny fluid changes.
Hope you don't have to rebuild the tranny anytime soon.

Jim
The fluid level was not too low, Didn't seem too high either. This tranny has less than 10K miles on it and last week was the 3rd fluid change due to TC or pan change, engine swap etc. I'm about to drive to work, I will see what happens. I did have to wrestle the pan on with the exhaust so I could have hit something during install but it has been fine for over a week. Tell me more about these servo connections. Would it just be a loose harness connection or something? Got any pics, I'm a transmission retard.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Default Servo Connections ????

I think what your trying to say is solenoid connections. I'm thinking that maybe you broke one of the two connector's on the solenoids located in the front of the valve body.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come On Guys, Its A 4l60e , We Love Those Tranny For There Reliability. Maybee Its Just Me And My 5th Laughin.. I Mean My Fifth Transmission, Hahaha
Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did the new deep pan hold the trans filter in place? maybe the filter came out of the inlet and now at idle it sucking air and a little oil but once it gets moving it is fine???
I'm not sure and have never seen or heard of a filter comming loose, but with the changing of the new pan and the time frame, it's got me wondering..........................

Quick Reply: Yet another tranny diagnostic request