Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Your driveline measurements....vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah, it's definitely angle related.

Today I shimmed the carrier down as far the studs will allow with washers and the vibration is gone up until about 72ish and then as you speed up it becomes more apparent. The front shaft is now pointing down 5 degrees. The rear pinion is pointing up 2 degrees and the rear shaft is around 4 degrees down. When I get some more time I'm going to shim the transmission UP, since ideally the trans should be pointing down the same amount as the rear pinion points up.

I've got another issue though, ever since I swapped in the factory 4l80e torque converter I get this awful howling noise from about 66-69 mph. It goes away below and above that. I have no clue what could be causing this noise. Any ideas? I know it seems ridiculous, but would not having the dustcover on the transmission be allowing noise to escape? I never had the dustcover on with the Yank stall and there was no noise.

Forgot to add, the noise seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle, not the rear.

Last edited by GMCtrk; 03-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
yeah, it's definitely angle related.

Today I shimmed the carrier down as far the studs will allow with washers and the vibration is gone up until about 72ish and then as you speed up it becomes more apparent

ADJUSTABLE CARRIER BEARING BRACKET it will let you adjust much farther than washers. your trans may need to go up just a hair but it most likely wont get rid of the viberation. DJM makes a nice cheap carrier bearing bracket. exactly what is your suspension setup? shimming the axle isnt anywhere near as hard as you make it seem. loosen the u bolts, slip in a shim and bolt it back down.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
ADJUSTABLE CARRIER BEARING BRACKET it will let you adjust much farther than washers. your trans may need to go up just a hair but it most likely wont get rid of the viberation. DJM makes a nice cheap carrier bearing bracket. exactly what is your suspension setup? shimming the axle isnt anywhere near as hard as you make it seem. loosen the u bolts, slip in a shim and bolt it back down.
I need to look into the DJM carrier, but I thought it required cutting/welding.

Shimming may be easy, but understand that the entire underside of my truck is rusted shut.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

gotcha...that would make it a PITA. sawzaw and new u bolts lol. the pinion angle probably isnt where you are getting your vibration anyways. ive had my pinion angle point up as far as 7* with no vibration.

the carrier bearing bracket requires no welding. you cut the oem carrier bearing bracket and bolt up the DJM kit.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:12 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The fact that your pinion is at positive 3 degrees isn't helping anything... And it's not necessarily good or proper for your trans to be pointing opposite the pinion.

Put on the adjustable carrier bearing, shim the pinion to negative 2 or 3 degrees and recheck. Shouldn't have any issues.