Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

yukon (4l60e) trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yukon (4l60e) trans issues

The wifey left for work this a.m. and about 5 minutes later i got the call.."my truck doesn't work". She drives an '02 yukon. I haven't had time to check it out yet, working third shift and watching my 3 little people, but from what i did hear it sounds like the park pawl is ratcheting. She tried to put it into park and it kept rolling she said. Also, while driving and getting over 15mph or so it started singing again. Going for reverse makes the same sound. The fluid doesn't look great and has some of that burnt smell to it. Another issue i noticed while driving is that it takes 2-3 seconds to shift from park and into gear, forward or reverse. I'm not sure of the mileage, but it was rebuilt by a "recommened" shop a few years ago. I put an FLT in my truck the year before hers originally went but she said she wouldn't like the shift firmness in her yukon. I'm sure shes thinking otherwise now. Anyone with trans smarts have an idea of what went? I'm going to start by checking out the shift linkage and after that? probably just gonna order another one to replace it.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen if the bolts for the parking pawl are loose a strange noise will happen. If loose enough a noise in park and forward will be heard. I would take a look at this first and then go from there. HTH Vince
Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info Vince. I got out to look at it today and something bigger then that is wrong. It creeps in 1 up the driveway making some noise, park doesn't hold. doesn't shift into reverse, just makes a metal turning on metal sound. the fluid is dirty and some burnt smell. I'll drop the pan to have a look this weekend.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds to me like a sunshell...they are notorious...but mine still went into park....