Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Z71 mild lowering pics, and a not so funny (for me) story....OUCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Z71 mild lowering pics, and a not so funny (for me) story....OUCH

So...Six months ago I had all the parts to lower my 2002 Z71 and then chickened out and sold everything.

About a month ago I bought 2" lowering spindles, 2" shackles and some new shorter u-bolts.

Week and a half ago I decide to go ahead with the swap and used my stock shocks for the time being. Truck sits exactly how I wanted it. Not too low, but definitely noticeably lower than a stock 4wd truck.

The next day I scored a set of 20" Cruiser Alloy Thresholds with worn out tires for a measly $200, and that night scored a set of new take-off Yokohama Geolander 245/60/20's for another $200. One wheel needed repair of the existing curb damage, which ran me another $100. Basically, for $500 I have some decent looking wheels with brand new QUIET tires...something BFGoodrich evidently doesn't manufacture.

Finally got my new lugnuts yesterday, so decided to swap the wheels on today, even though my new KYB Monomax's won't be here until tomorrow.

I was so pleased with how it looks that after I got home from work, even though the truck needed a bath, I decided to snap a few fresh pics...

Well...here's where things took a turn for the worse...

I snapped one decent picture while standing in the elevated front garden I built a few years ago. I went to take another picture and all 300# of me stepped off of the 16" tall wall right into a frickin hole, breaking my damn ankle...

Can't believe the wife (or any neighbors) didn't hear me outside cussing and carrying on like a damn nutcase because I couldn't get up off the ground, but she finally saw me and came out to investigate. Five hours at the hospital later, here I am, posting the ONE DAMN PICTURE I managed to get before flopping on the ground like a fish outta water...

One is BEFORE, taken a week and a half ago, and ONE is today...more coming some day in the future.

BTW, door handle bezel is flat black, as it came from factory. It appears to have reflection from sun or whatever, making it look light colored.
Attached Thumbnails Z71 mild lowering pics, and a not so funny (for me) story....OUCH-truck.jpeg   Z71 mild lowering pics, and a not so funny (for me) story....OUCH-p3060023.jpg  

Last edited by rel3rd; 03-08-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks pretty dam good man, sucks bout ur ankle.
want to sell me your factory blocks and U-bolts???
Old 03-08-2011, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterliftedz
looks pretty dam good man, sucks bout ur ankle.
want to sell me your factory blocks and U-bolts???
Thanks.
I guess I could sell the stock stuff. Everything is at work though, which is where I won't be for a little while, unfortunately. If you're in a hurry, I plan to stop by there maybe/hopefully one day next week if I can figure out how to drive LEFT footed, lol. I work in a so-called "Homeland Security" secured area so even if I could bum a ride down to work, I can't enter unless I am actually driving and show my ID and parking pass....

Maybe shoot me a PM so I don't forget, and whenever I get down there, I'll grab the stuff and go from there.

Thanks, Bob
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truck looks good man, real sorry about the ankle though.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I can imagine your pain from the ankle, I can not help but laugh cuz of the way you told it... You idiots from Baltimore Truck looks nice.. I can not believe I have never seen that thing around...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks nice and level. ankle sounds painful.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
While I can imagine your pain from the ankle, I can not help but laugh cuz of the way you told it... You idiots from Baltimore Truck looks nice.. I can not believe I have never seen that thing around...
I think I was still inebriated from that POINT air, lol...

I actually saw you and your truck once John...Right there by Pizza Roma's...BTW, I did turn around and you were GONE...

Maybe we'll get together one summer Sunday for a scooter ride or something.

Last edited by rel3rd; 03-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bigredmariner
Truck looks good man, real sorry about the ankle though.
Originally Posted by dlt76028
looks nice and level. ankle sounds painful.
Thanks guys. It does seem pretty much dead on level, and I had planned to drive it a week or two before finalizing the front height (if need be), but now it looks like it'll be as-is for the next several weeks.

I think the CRUNCH sound as I flopped to the ground made it even worse, lol...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I think I was still inebriated from that POINT air, lol...

I actually saw you and your truck once John...Right there by Pizza Roma's...

Maybe we'll get together one summer Sunday for a scooter ride or something.
Oh no ****.. What brought ya down to that neck of the woods??? Recently??

Yes on the Scooter ride.. Nobody I know rides much..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Man! I feel terrible for ya bud!! Hope you heal fast, that just sounds so damn painful.

Damn trucks, They drain your time, your money , your patience, and now your health!! What a Love hate relationship huh? We suffer from a real sickness!!! Cant tell ya how many times i hurt myself ( not as bad as this though) working on my truck and just wandering why ???? sometimes LOL.

Anyway your truck looks awesome!! Now i know how mine will look lowered, I like it.

Very clean looking for sure.

Hows it ride? , since its lower does it feel like a sports car at all?
Ive always lifted my trucks , but have been wandering if a couple inches lower to get rid of fenderwell space would be worth it or just leave it stock.

Damn you guys here just cant leave anything alone and it costs us all more money ! Haha!

Get well soon and keep the pain pills comin!

Quick Reply: Z71 mild lowering pics, and a not so funny (for me) story....OUCH