Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Z71 RCSB 1/3.5" Drop, a bit disappointed in front end ride quality and amount lowered

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Z71 RCSB 1/3.5" Drop, a bit disappointed in front end ride quality and amount lowered

Hey all, I recently completed a 1/3.5" drop (that's what it ended up at) using the following parts:

lowered 1" front by decranking front torsion bars
Belltech 2" rear shackles
removed rear block
4wd Bilstein HD shocks front/ 2wd Bilsteind HD shocks rear
new front lower control arms (thought I had bad bushings, but I didn't)
new axles in front (finally found my clunk, came from play in driver's side axle)
trimmed front and rear bumpstops

I'm a bit disappointed in the ride up front. I honestly can't remember how it rode stock, because I had a terrible thud-thud-thud/ clunk-clunk-clunk pretty much all the time at low speeds, caused by a bad driver's side axle. Plus my stock shocks were completely dead. But now the front just doesn't seem 100% solid. I guess it's a bit bumpsteery would be the way to describe it. Feels great on smooth highway, OK on bumpy roads, and bumpsteery / not confident on rough roads. Is this just the nature of the beast? I also wish my rear was lower by another inch, and I'd like to lower the front another 1/2".

Would 2" spindles up front with fine tuning / raising the torsion bars help the ride quality? I'm guessing I need hangers in the rear to bring the back down, but I'm thinking the back might come down too much with hangers. Are 2wd hangers the same as 4wd hangers? I'm also thinking that going to stock 17" aluminum wheels might make the truck ride better, as they're 10lbs lighter per wheel. I just love these chrome clad steelies though, wish they made them in aluminum.

Here is the truck:
Name:  IMG_2937.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  9.15 MB

Name:  IMG_2930.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  6.58 MB

Name:  IMG_2924.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  9.45 MB
Old 02-19-2015, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

De cranking torsion bars is going to do nothing but give a bad ride imo. I would either crank them back up and get 2" spindles or the lower control arms from djm to drop the front. For the rear you can get the 2" drop hangers and then only run a 1" drop shackle.