Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Zippy Shift Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Zippy Shift Kit Question

What is this Zippy shift kit? What does it consist of? Is it any good for everyday driving and towing a 6,000lbs boat & trailer?
Are the shifts really hard?
I will be using a TB stall and vette servo as well.
Do you guys recommend it or a different shift kit?

Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 03:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure how to answer here. I'm not trying to advertise or anything, but I will answer what I can. There are 4 different versions of the kit based on your uses for the truck, power level, and whether or not you're hiding the shift kit from the warrenty. The stiffest kit is the Zippy kit and can be harsh to drive around every day. Many do this since you get used to it and will forget it's even there. Here again the programming depends alot on how harsh it shifts. There is no problems with towing with any of my kits.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:25 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Zippy kit/Built trans and it is byfar exceding the performance and fun factor i expected. I absolutlety love it. It doesnt shift to hard during normal driving but you can tell its there. But when you mash it it shifts hard and right now and will bark second every time! I have a 2800 PI stall and i have been towing my car hauler and my old ford tractor with no problem at all. No *** kissing here, but its definitley some of the best money ive spent esepecially for piece of mind. Quicker/harder shifts = less heat = longer trans life.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know what zippys kits include i use trans go h2. maybe zippy u can send me some info on the kits might have to try one
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

what does it consist of??? tuning? hardware? what?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

i dont think the zippy kit contains the tb tc. i dont know if that would be my first choice if i was going to tow alot with it.I can say that his service is top notch. he could also provide you with a great tune to go with the kit.If i remember correct the kit has a shift correction kit, oversized boost valve and the billet servos.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Unhappy

I guess I feel like my question was not really answered to how I was expecting.
Does the Zippy kit come with different levels of shift firmness settings?
I will be using my truck for daily driving, towing, and drag strip.
I will be using a 2600-2800 stall, cam, and twin screw type S/C for the power.
If not the Zippy, what is the best one to go with?
I've also heard there is a better servo brand as well. What is the brand of the new servo?

Jim
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isn't much adjustment to the kits. Simply different kits. The two more common kits are the towing and Zippy kits. The towing kit includes a vette style servo and the Zippy kit includes the billet servo. Both include the billet 4th gear servo. With kits like the transgo you really can't effectivly use the billet intermediate servo because with the accumulator size being cut down it makes the hit too hard and can cause problems as many have found. Running the accumulators at stock volume allows you to use the billet intermediate servo without problems. The only caution is that you can't run the line pressures jacked up in the programming.

For adjustability I like to leave that in the hands of the programmer, not in the trans. This is how it should be. The towing kit for example will shift quick and firm, yet not harsh with the trans programming at or near stock levels and yet leave room for it to hit real hard if you simply cut the shift timings down. The idea here is to set it up to be able to shift very hard using a higher volume of fluid flow and servo apply area size rather than a higher line pressure (high line pressures create alot of heat) to make the shift harsh/quick. In the case of someone that wants a harsher shift than that or can't get the shift times down, this is where the Zippy kit comes in. It uses the same valve body mods, same spacer plate mods, same boost valve, just steps up to the billet servo. This kit shifts pretty damn hard all the time if you have a stock torque converter, but less hard than say a transgo setup with 2 washers at part throttle. At wide open it will shift harder than the 2 washer setup.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

If I went with the towing kit, will it still bark 2nd hard at WOT? The tune that I was running with all TM removed and the line pressure bumped up pretty high. It was barking 2nd gear still at about 75% throttle, but at WOT it would not shift all that hard. It would more less just run into third rather than hit third.
I have also been told to not use the billet rod with the servo. That I should use the O.E. rod due to the harshness the billet style rod produces.
What is your input on this?

Jim
Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

Zippy? Anyone else?

Jim

Quick Reply: Zippy Shift Kit Question