Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Zippy Shift Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recomend using the stock apply pin if that's what you're referring to. As for the 1-2 shift, without a doubt you should be able to get the 1-2 hit that you're looking for. With the Zippy kit it's possible to overkill in the programming along and break a hard part. With the towing kit the 1-2 shift should be solid and tire spinning without challenge.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the transgo hd-2 kit with the vette servo for towing/mild performance application. If you want a more performance setup then I recommend the sonnax 2nd super hold servo that we have displayed on our web page. It's a much better servo for the trans and the money IMO than the solid billet (no cushion spring) 2nd servos on the market, These servos also have a tendency to break bands and sun shells over a period of time from what we've seen over the years. Not only are they hard on the parts mentioned above, The harsh coastdown 3-2 shift that you get with these servos is annoying to me. We build all our 60's & 65's with either the vette servo or the sonnax masterpiece period. The sonnax super hold servo is also available for OD too if desired.

Chuck
Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I can agree with there is not using the billet servo with a Transgo kit. I've never ran into the broken band, pin, or sunshell when using the superior kit and I believe this is mainly because the 1-2 accumulator is still at full capacity. Reducing the effectiveness of the 1-2 accumulator is where most of the hit comes in with the Transgo kit for the 1-2 shift. With the 3.06/1.63 ratio split there is the best chance of breaking something due to this. On the other hand many of the customers I've ran into using the Transgo kits have a hard shift at part throttle and not much harder than that at wide open. This is the main thing that got me to try different modifications to the trans other than the old reliable Transgo that is more common than MacDonalds fries. Of course that is because the other two famous trans companies (B&M and TCI) make some of the worst shift kits I've ever ran across. The only issues I've ever ran across with my kits is when someone has the line pressures cranked up in the programming. I'm guessing that you have also had many transmission failures due to the same issue. The quickest way to kill a trans when running alot of power through it is to have someone program the trans settings not knowing what they are doing. The Transgo kit also is just about guarenteed to break/crack the plastic accumulator piston. Not that this is a big deal since you can just replace it with a metal piston, but it just shows how harsh the line pressure is on the 1-2 accumulator. Since high pressures cause heat (simple physic's) and stopping a drum using a band applied by a pin should have some type of accumulator as many hydralic systems. The kit that I set up based on a selection of parts mostly from Superior products has been proven to shift hard and quick enough to allow a stock internal 65E hold up to a Silverado SS with a Radix and enough mods to get into the 12's. That truck made over 200 passes and repeated harsh runs on the street. I tore the trans down and inspected it at around 30k and after the over 200 passes. That 5500lb 12 second truck had no more wear on the clutches and band than a stock truck would have at 30k and the plastic accumulator piston was still perfectly in tact. The teardown was only performed because I wanted to see how much wear the trans had after that much abuse. While it was apart Raybestos Blue Plate clutches were installed and a Raybestos Pro Series band was installed as well as a metal accumulator piston just because. I felt that I was more than happy with those kind of results.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Zippy and FLT, great info!