Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

**Warning** Qa1 Shock install

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Warning** Qa1 Shock install

OK before you run out and get QA1 billet 12 point adjustable shocks I discovered some minor problems with the install.

I bought stocker stars for the rear of my truck for full adjustability.
1) the eyelet sleeves they include in the kit need to be honed out to (9/16 or 14mm) to fit stock shock bolts.
and the F*ckers only included 1 in the kit. You obviously need 2,per shock. I guess you could dig out the sleeve on your stock shocks but I just went to Ace hardware and bought some.
2) you need to come up with 3/8,thick space to equal the same width as the eyelet on the stock shocks. The qa1's are alot narrower. I used 1/8 thick Stainless washers on either side.
3) the way the shocks are designed you need to grind alittle bit of the lower shock mount on our axle so the shock"body" doesn't rub. I guess you don't have to but the thought of the billet shock body rubbing on the axle bracket doesn't sit well with me.

Other than that it's looking good. The'll be finished tommorow with pics.
If any are interested I have the p# and price were I got them.
I have 4" hotchkis, if your any lower you'll need shorter shocks than the ones I found.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:13 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: **Warning** Qa1 Shock install

I wanna go with the Hotchkis 2/4 but I can't decide on shocks. I was looking at either the Edelbrock IAS thats recommended with the kit or the Bilstein HDs. How much are those(part#?) and how do they ride?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I've got the Hotchkis springs and installed the IAS shocks on the front at Christmas. I couldn't tell a lot of difference. I just installed the rears and what a difference. Unbelievable. The Edlebrocks are so much better than stock it's well worth it. You can also get the 4" drop model. I would suspect the QA1's would be even better.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:12 AM
13 Second Truck Club

TTT
Crederado, can you gimme the specs on those shocks?
Old 08-12-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, 12 hour days and constant rain I havn't been able to test them, Blah, Blah,

specs;
p# HAL-TC1539P
Thunder Racing sells them and you can get them from QA1 direct for alot more than retail stores. I choose summit because I had credit there, but I'm sure Thunder would give you a good deal.

Compressed- 15"
Extended-24"
driving height should be good for 18"-What my Bilstiens rode at.

o= setting very soft
12th setting = M1 Tank.

again, you need to buy at the hardware store, 8-9/16 heavy washers(approx 1/8 thick) to go on either side of shock eyelets. Also the kit only inludes 1 (1/2") sleeve per shock and 2 5/8 sleeves.

you have the option of getting 2 more 1/2 sleeves from Qa1 direct and drilling them all out for your 14mm bolts(9/16 same thing) or utilizing the 5/8 sleeves and upgrading the 4 shock bolts to (grade 8) 5/8 bolts. If you go the 5/8 route you'll need to drill out the factory shock brackets and also buy 8-5/8 heavy washers instead of 9/16.

I choose to get 2 more 1/2" spacers and use my drill press to drill them out to 9/16(14mm) and retain my factory shock bolts.

confused yet?
later.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:42 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Hey thanks for the info.
You have the 4inch Hotchkis leafs in the rear, do you have the coils up front?

*edit*
When you get a chance to test em out, how are they compared to the Bilsteins? I can't decide between Edelcrock IAS, Bilstein HDs, or HALs. I've rode in MarineBlue03GMCs truck with the 2/4 hotchkis and IAS and I like it. It was pretty comfy, I wouldn't mind something stiffer, which is what I'm looking to hear from you about the Bilsteins or HALs
Thanks!
Old 08-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Those HALS sound like a real pain to install. Hey Chingon, I would recommend going with the HALs or Edelbrocks. I couldnt imagine the Bilsteins being all that. I had a friend that had a set on his Ford Exploder and they blew out really fast, like in a few months!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:04 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Hmm...
Well, the Bilsteins were last on my list, they were cheaper than the others is why I was considering em.
I think the HALs would be the best, so I am leaning towards those.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get them, there awesome.
At zero it feels like a old Cadilac(to Me)Real soft.
At 5-6 it feels they way I like. Good overal ride
At 10 there stiff but still not as harsh as the Bilstiens, basically the "autocross" setting.
I didn't turn them to the full 12 because it seemed kinda pointless.
Overall, Truck is alot better for cruising now.

I got the part # for the additional sleeves you need if your keeping the stock bolts. P#9033-101

I Don't think two people can agree on ride but my truck is real light in the *** and I'm happy I now have adjustabilty.
Now I know why Airide Technologies uses these shocks.

You can see were I grinded down the shock mount on either side, They look like they touch but they don't. You can also see the washers on either side to equal the Stock Gap.
[
Old 08-15-2003, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

TTT?

Quick Reply: **Warning** Qa1 Shock install