Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

*help Asap* Abs Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *help Asap* Abs Problem

Hey guys. I was leaving church this morning and i heard a pop from what sounded like the front passenger side wheel area and then the ABS light came on. I'm assuming it's the pump that is making this humming sound that stays on even after the key is off. What could be the culprit? I really don't want to have to dish out a shitload of money fixin the freakin abs system. It's on an 02 GMC Yukon with just the regular suspension package if that makes any difference...
Old 12-17-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pump is constantly running you more than likely will need to replace the EBCM. Pull the maxi fuse from the underhood fuse box for the ABS to shut it off so it doesnt run down your battery.
EBCM's run around 600-800 bucks. Do a search on Google for abs control module repair and you should find some places that can repair or replace with a refurbished one for alot cheaper.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Hey guys. I was leaving church this morning and i heard a pop from what sounded like the front passenger side wheel area and then the ABS light came on. I'm assuming it's the pump that is making this humming sound that stays on even after the key is off. What could be the culprit? I really don't want to have to dish out a shitload of money fixin the freakin abs system. It's on an 02 GMC Yukon with just the regular suspension package if that makes any difference...
I know exactly what is your problem. I had the same problem so I know what it is, and it's really shitty news. Without even knowing I'll assume you have a 99-00 truck since that was when they had the most problems with the fuel pump.

Basically your abs motor works fine but your abs module is fucked. I bought mine from gmparts direct for around $470 or so. For now you need to pull the big huge 60 amp blue fuse in your fuse box so the motor won't stay on. Everything will work normal except you won't have abs.

It's a direct swap in part that takes like 20 minuts to swap out. It's located on your frame right below your drivers side door.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i'll cost you about $500
Old 12-17-2006, 03:16 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem too, the ABS module is the culprit as mentioned above. Do a google search for module master (I think that's the name)...there's a guy who repairs them for less than $100. The part is about $800 from the dealer. I was lucky enough to have a friend who is a service writer at a Chevy dealer and goodwilled the part for me. (this was before I heard about the module master guy...heard about him at GMTrucks.com)

P.S. Pull the fuse or unplug the pump asap or you may burn the ABS pump motor out and that's big bucks!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I pulled the fuse and got the joy of watchin the amber and red brake lights http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8059929358

Gonna send it to this guy and have him rebuild it for 150 plus shippin. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramdaspadhye
Yeah, I pulled the fuse and got the joy of watchin the amber and red brake lights http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8059929358

Gonna send it to this guy and have him rebuild it for 150 plus shippin. Thanks for the help guys!
Oh yea, I've heard of that guy too (might be the same one I'm thinking about with a different name). Can't go wrong for $150 considering the new part ranges from $500 to $800 depending on where you go.