Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

00' Tahoe 200k mile 5.3 maintenance build

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' Tahoe 200k mile 5.3 maintenance build

so my 2000 NBS tahoe just hit the 200,000 mile mark. Its been a pretty rough 200k miles for her, so i'm going through and replacing a TON of stuff so she'll be ready for another 200k

Right now, it leaks coolant like a **** from somewhere outside the engine. my guess is the water pump.

Oil pressure is on the fritz.

i'm guessing its the oil pump on its last leg. possible something clogged in the screen. she's always been hungry for oil too. and the oil pan has a nice combination of oil and coolant build up all over it.

right now my list of replacement parts are:
Melling stock flow/psi oil pump
fel pro oil pan gasket
ac delco water pump/thermostat (stock temp) and gaskets
reman power steering pump w/filter and royal purple p/s fluid
ac delco belts (main and a/c)
ac delco upper/lower radiator hoses
ac delco belt tensioners (main and a/c)

other parts i'm going to replace:
spark plugs (a/c delco rapidfires @ .45 gap ?? current plugs replaced at 120k and are the 4 prong iridium plugs. have had zero problems but i don't really know as i haven't taken them out and checked ever. but i'm pretty sure they were a waste of money. heard these plugs work just fine)
spark plug wires
valve cover gaskets

you can check my build thread over at gmfullsize to see all the current mods
Matt's Tahoe Build Thread - Chevy Truck Forum | GMC Truck Forum - GmFullsize.com

started with the water pump removal first
Name:  null_zps77e770f2.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  143.9 KB
Name:  null_zpsf70d70fa.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  190.3 KB
Name:  null_zps78942c88.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  157.9 KB

had to get a little creative with the cheapo harbor freight power steering pulley remover. the clamps didn't get tight enough with the metal ring, so i used some blue tape to get it tighter and it worked perfectly.
Name:  null_zps381789ee.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  84.7 KB
and its off! (the black piece was part of the p/s pulley remover that got stuck in there)
Name:  null_zps1a4d33af.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  135.8 KB
whole engine
Name:  null_zps269202c1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  161.7 KB
alternator bracket off
Name:  null_zpsdf21728d.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  166.4 KB
Name:  null_zps4ecf3203.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  177.4 KB
Name:  null_zpsfce07fd1.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  183.1 KB
Name:  null_zpsfeef3927.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  165.9 KB

is it just me, or do my valve covers look like they're leaking?
Name:  null_zpsf70e582e.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  188.4 KB
Name:  null_zpsfb8468fe.jpg
Views: 1065
Size:  183.2 KB

and thats where i'm at right now. going to do more research before i continue to get further in to replace my oil pan gasket and oil pump. daily drivers FTW

oh and also one of my rear lift support struts was fucked, finally replaced it and she stays up all by herself! lol
Name:  null_zps1ee5ce03.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  165.7 KB

only things i'm concerned about are what all the rest is required to do the oil pump install. really not looking forward to that part

power steering pump replacement is done. wasn't near as bad as i thought it was going to be. this write up helped a TON

Replace Your Chevy or GM Power Steering Pump
Name:  null_zps3a37d284.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  169.7 KB

where i stopped for the night

Name:  null_zps8bd30add.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  149.7 KB
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice, that's a serious undertaking!

A few cans of brake cleaner to the engine would make the whole job a lot less messy. Just my .02
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use Purple power and a pressure washer before I started that
Old 04-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Nice, that's a serious undertaking!

A few cans of brake cleaner to the engine would make the whole job a lot less messy. Just my .02
thanks man. just went through the videos of your tahoe. VERY impressive! love all the engine/suspension/brake mods you've got. was thinking about doing throwing hydroboost into this set of mods but i was getting impatient and the hydroboost conv would probably cost as much as i've got into all the parts so far.

Originally Posted by grey matter 04
I would use Purple power and a pressure washer before I started that
lol yeah think i'm gonna break out the cleaner stuff thursday while i'm waiting on some more parts to come in. but mainly i wanted to see where i might be getting leaks from. won't be able to tell if i clean it all first.

Last edited by IMI4tth3w; 04-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hydro boost swap cost me $149.xx total. Best performance gain for the money bar none.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'd drop your oil pan and have a look, I had similar low oil pressure issues around 240k miles, buddy checked into it-massive sludge issue. So bad I had to replace the shortblock :/
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't see a Front Main Seal and a Timing Set on your list. Are you planning to replace those? If not, I would highly recommend it because you're going to remove both of them to do the oil pump.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Hydro boost swap cost me $149.xx total. Best performance gain for the money bar none.
sourced all your parts from junk yard? i may have to look into that. although i just purchased my power steering pump. could have gotten the one already set up for hydroboost. i'll just splice the return line no big deal.

Originally Posted by Ws6Luvr
I'd drop your oil pan and have a look, I had similar low oil pressure issues around 240k miles, buddy checked into it-massive sludge issue. So bad I had to replace the shortblock :/
REALLY hope thats not the issue. i don't think i've ever gone past 5k miles between oil changes. guess we'll find out later.

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I didn't see a Front Main Seal and a Timing Set on your list. Are you planning to replace those? If not, I would highly recommend it because you're going to remove both of them to do the oil pump.
yeah i was doing research last night. i've never gotten to this part of the motor and really didn't have a clue what else is going to have to be taken apart to get to the oil pump. definitely going to add those to the list.

so the rest of my list includes
valve cover gaskets
timing cover gasket set
spark plugs and wires
3 arm puller for harmonic balancer pulley

in the video i saw, they were replacing the timing chain as well. should i just go ahead and do that also while i'm down there?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Might just be the oil pressure sensor is goofed,pretty common.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DUALLS
Might just be the oil pressure sensor is goofed,pretty common.
i thought so too, but when starting, at first i don't have any oil pressure and i hear my valves a little bit, then a second later my oil pressure goes up to 40 and the valve noise goes away. after driving a couple min is when i get the weird jumpy oil pressure/low oil pressure. as far as i can tell the oil pressure sensor and the stepper motor in my gauge are just fine

Quick Reply: 00' Tahoe 200k mile 5.3 maintenance build