Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

00' Tahoe 200k mile 5.3 maintenance build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also when you're in there, drop the pan and make sure the pickup screen is still on the pickup tube. Mine broke, got sucked up and tore up the oil pump.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Also when you're in there, drop the pan and make sure the pickup screen is still on the pickup tube. Mine broke, got sucked up and tore up the oil pump.
yeah definitely. i'll be dropping the pan to replace the gasket and that was on my list to check. want to make sure that screen is nice and clean to clear on the list of possible problems with my oil pressure.

thanks for all the replies guys. nice to get some helpful responses here. anything that has to do with tech over at gmfullsize just gets ignored mainly because nobody knows anything over there..

Last edited by IMI4tth3w; 04-17-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IMI4tth3w
thanks man. just went through the videos of your tahoe. VERY impressive! love all the engine/suspension/brake mods you've got. was thinking about doing throwing hydroboost into this set of mods but i was getting impatient and the hydroboost conv would probably cost as much as i've got into all the parts so far.

lol yeah think i'm gonna break out the cleaner stuff thursday while i'm waiting on some more parts to come in. but mainly i wanted to see where i might be getting leaks from. won't be able to tell if i clean it all first.
Thanks bud. Never too late for you, these engines will put up with a lot, I put the blower on at 90k and am at 142k now. And the hydroboost is a worthwhile mod, cost about $150 in junkyard parts and takes an afternoon.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Thanks bud. Never too late for you, these engines will put up with a lot, I put the blower on at 90k and am at 142k now. And the hydroboost is a worthwhile mod, cost about $150 in junkyard parts and takes an afternoon.
yeah you pretty much just convinced me. i just so happen to get paid tomorrow and have tomorrow off, so looks like i'll be hitting up the junk yard lol. my brakes suck as it is. i'm just upset that i'm not doing a cam. i really COULD do one, but i just don't want to add more problems. just want to fix everything right now. rather use the $ for a 6.0 swap anyways
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil pump is a cakewalk compared to doing a cam. Cams have to have the heads pulled off and new lifters and springs installed.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Oil pump is a cakewalk compared to doing a cam. Cams have to have the heads pulled off and new lifters and springs installed.
yeah another reason why i didn't do a cam. i'd probably do one thats really mild so i could still use stock springs if thats even possible. regardless, rather spend that money towards a 6.0 namesayin
Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM
Staging Lane

well spent all day at several different junk yards and found NOTHIN! trying to find a nice hydroboost to swap over. only found one that was missing one of the hard lines and the brake pedal was rusted to ****. guy said he had a couple 2500's comin in next week. i'll probably wait till then. but most likely i'm just gonna put everything back together for now. i got some expensive parts i need to buy in the next month so i need to save every dollar i can. once i sell my old stuff i'll do the swap.

guess its time to go get a 3 jaw puller and take a peek under the timing cover!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Check car-parts.com for junkyards nearby with the parts.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
Sorry to hear that. Check car-parts.com for junkyards nearby with the parts.
wow i feel dumb i didn't check that site. there was like 5 other junk yards i missed that had tons of 2500's. :facepalm:

oh well i need to save money anyways lol hydroboost can wait.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive never pulled the heads to do a cam swap in a LS engine..

But i think for once, somebody's engine bay is dirtier than mine!!

Quick Reply: 00' Tahoe 200k mile 5.3 maintenance build