Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

02 ls6 cam in a 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do go with the '02 LS6 cam, the base circles are smaller. GM did this because the lift in '02 was starting to get higher than the cam journal itself (problem- you cannot install cam if that happens) so they made the base circle smaller to accomodate the increased lift.
Here is a chart:
LS1 and LM7, LQ9, LQ4 (truck) base circles: 19.7mm
'01 LS6 ZO6 base circle: 19.3mm
'02 LS6 ZO6 base circle: 19.0mm
In '02 they made up for the difference in base circles by making longer stemmed valves. I honestly am not sure if this matters (the GM engineer seemed to think so) so I think I will try to make up the length and keep the valvetrain geometry perfect with a little bit longer pushrod.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this cam. It pick up over 30rwhp in my buddy 5.3, with a loss of 8rwtq. It started and idled perfect since we installed it. You will need a converter. No loss in driveability, gas mileage, or idle. Just power. You will notice a little loss in low end power but, that goes away with a stall converter.
When my new motor is built I will intsall this cam. I like it alot better than my cam. I hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

About what I said on the base circle stuff, I guess it is okay to just put the '02 cam in the engine without correcting the valvetrain geometry back to perfect.
Here is a post that I posted in Internal Engine https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113978
Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, I did not see this post today!

I was out at Magnacharger Tuesday and spoke to their tuner/engine builder and they said that the LS6 cam will bleed off boost at the top of the RPM range resulting in less power.

They reccomend the Lingenfelter Gt cams, in particular the GT-1 or the GT-2.

This is what I was told so you can take it or leave it. I feel that they know what they are talking about! I think I am going with that GT-2 cam setup myself.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

That is wierd Magnacharger said this. You only get bleed off when the lsa of a cam is low i.e. more valve overlap. However, the '02 LS6 cam has the Exact same lsa as the Lingenfelter GT-2 cam. Interesting to say the least i guess...
Yes BlownChevy that Lingenfelter should be one kick *** cam for a blower too! The numbers are like an '02 LS6 cam just upped a little bit. I like the price of the LS6 over the Lingenfelter though

Man I wish we could ride in eachother's trucks:
Intercooled Radix blower w/ GT-2 Lingenfelter
vs.
Intercooled Twin Screw w/ '02 LS6 cam
I think they are both killer setups!
Ryan
Old 11-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up Magnacharger Radix on '02 Silverado

I have an '02 Silverado with the 5.3 and the Magnacharger Radix system installed, with Flowmaster Delta Flow single into two pipe kit. 3.73 gears with trailer package. I am pulling 350 RWHP, 390 RWTQ on an 85 degree/100% humidity day. Turned 14.2/96mph at Bristol on a warm day (uphill track and about 1800 feet above sea level). Have a Dynatech header with CATs system to install which is supposed to get 25-40 more RWHP. On LS6 cam, call Magnuson direct and get their recommendation so you do not void any warranties (unless you do not care). Good Luck! I have inquired with very knowledgable sources re: electric fans versus clutch; and unless you are calling for cooling and engaging the clutch, there is negligible difference. For street and everyday use electric fans would not be cost effective to install.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:48 AM
blownerator

I am just telling you what I heard from magnacharger.....
Old 11-20-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Terry Stevens
I have inquired with very knowledgable sources re: electric fans versus clutch; and unless you are calling for cooling and engaging the clutch, there is negligible difference. For street and everyday use electric fans would not be cost effective to install.

I HIGHLY disagree with this. I installed electric fans on my Z71 and soon the ol' F-150. Cost to me? $125 plus a few hours of my time. LS1 F-bod fans pull like a *****. Throttle response off idle is better, less drag at higher RPMs, and slightly better MPG.

Every factory performance car I've owned ('98 Z28, '01 C5, and '02 WRX) all have electric fans stock. That's got to tell you something about how they operate.

The difference between an unlocked fan clutch isn't too great (8rwhp maybe) BUT when that thing lockups...it seriously feels like you've dropped 30hp. That and these trucks go into the "Low Octane" spark table when the A/C is on.

Anyway...those headers will make a HUGE difference for you being supercharged. Also that Flowmaster is a pulse-type muffler...not the best for boost. A Magnaflow or Borla or Corsa would be a better choice as they have far less restriction.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:20 PM
blownerator

^^^^What he said^^^^

The electric fans were hands down one of the best mods I have done, besides the radix.

The clutch fan on a warm day is the same as a parachute on your back bumper....
Old 11-21-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just saw this post ,I don't understand the comment from the magnacharger guys./ the lingenfelter cam is the almost the same specs as the 02 ls-6. and I would bet it s from the same manufacture but with a slightly smaller base circle to get the increase lift which is only like 12 thousands at the cam. they would behave exactly the same as the ls-6. the thing about the ls-6 cams that I've found out is they are -2 degrees from the factory so an timing set that is adjustable is needed ,and I would run the cam +2 degrees so you need a +4 timing adjustment. I'm currently running this set up w/ ls-6 cylinder heads w/o headers and with the stock 3.4" pulley the boost peaked @ 33-3500 rpm (6.8PSI)the slowly dropped all the way to peak HP (5.7PSI) the slowly start to climb around 6100 rpm. the cam creates a more efficient air pump so w/ the stock pulley the motor outruns the blower the net HP is probably a wash vs. a stock cam, but it gives you a margin of addtional boost capability I am currently running a 3.25" pulley and not seeing over 7 PSI and peak HP. when I put headers on this winter I'll go to a 3.1" or a 3.0" pulley w/ a 1" shorter belt to maintain tension. my dyno #'s don'r really compare to everone else's as mine were on an eddy current Mustang dyno vs. the dynojets.

Quick Reply: 02 ls6 cam in a 5.3