Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

02 Silverado 2500HD Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think a custom tune is out the window for now. Wow really the NGK TR-55's i have that on my T/A haha. I hear you on the wires. Hrmmm Air Raid MIT that's interesting to just get the tube, i didn't realize it was soo good or that K&N's wasn't boxed off. All the people around me with trucks have the K&N setup. How much are those other intake setups running you guys?? I think i was priced for the K&N like $280 so figured it was a nice deal haha.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The airaid jr kit I got was like 120 or something. Tube, couplings, and a panel filter to go in the stock box.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 00T/AWS6
...I think shorties will do, its no racecar that's what the T/A is for just some better gas mileage, a nice sound, and maybe a few more ponies haha....
Those shiny tubes sure do sell themselves. Obviously you are blinded with lust for them. Even though two or more guys in this thread told you that shorties do nothing, their facts fell on deaf ears. I am not sure, but I don't think they even sound different. You must have a power increase to gain mpg, and it depends on how far you push the pedal as to whether you go faster or get better mpg. Since shorties give no gain in power, well... In a choice between shorties and stock manifolds, you should go with cast iron, for the longevity.
Now for the almost helpful side of my post: I put long tubes on my truck, which is an HD before they were named HDs. I had to cut part of the top control arm pivot mounting bracket, because I couldn't find 2WD headers.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe you missed the part where i said there is a leak in my manifolds and my headers on there are really screwed up right now. That being said it is probably giving me less gas mileage. If you really want to act all tough online that's cool though dude. I am replacing because mine are crapped out and i NEEED new ones. As to why i am choosing shorties when everyone else says they are no power or anything because i am just replacing the messed up stock ones and don't have tons of money.

I am a kid in college with school loans and two car loans i'm not in the way to figure out a giant custom build. I asked if people had Longtubes on these trucks because the people i've talked to have all said it would have fitment issues and if i go long tubes i spend extra $$ for the headers and extra $$ on makin it fit and a midpipe if the stock doesn't fit. But have a nice day sir.

Thanks for info neilownz, i appreciate it!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its okay Mike....you tried.

Get the shorties if it makes you happy, its your truck and you can do with it what ever you want no matter what anyone else says.

What you're saying about your exhaust?

-My manifolds are leaking and sound bad.
-I went to a custom exhaust shop to get some ideas on upgrades (assuming because you want it to sound better and/or you want more power).
-You are interested in something with some longevity.

What others are suggesting on your behalf:

-Shories do nothing as far as sound or performance based on dyno tests. You should not consider it for performance or sound upgrades.
-If you desire something other than the stock manifolds, your best bang for buck is long tube headers.
-Cast iron manifolds (like the ones you have now that are leaking) last longer than an after market shorty header.

If you just like the look of the shorty, if it sounds better to you, or you just want to put them on your truck for any reason at all then I would go ahead and do it. Like i said its your truck, you have to drive it. If you are happy thats all that matters, i think these guys were just trying to give you some help from thier experience. No one was trying to give you a a hard time. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the sound is going to come from the muffler and catback change, it will sound fine for me i dont need anything all that loud or anything. This thread was made asking if there were any types of shorty headers out there or if anyone suggested them from the beginning. I did not jump into asking for long tubes. Later when brought up i asked about fitment issues as nobody really has them on here but that was about it.

I understand what people are saying but i'm not spending the $$ for all the extra work all i'm doing is replacing my headers because of the problem while i'm getting the catback done. So please i'm sick of gettin badgered about a decision that is already final, unless someone has my exact truck and setup and fitment wasn't a problem or anything i might reconsider but other then that i was just wanting to know of a few good companies dang. Maybe posting a question on a truck forum was dumb....
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

The worst part is about shorty headers that is a good set of them are $$$$ like 350-500 bucks. The ones that are made from mild steel or coated(200-300$) is ok but will not last anywhere near as long as the stock mani's. If you don't have the money to do Long tubes, i wouldn't waste it on shorties imo, get you some used manis for 65 bucks and call it a day.. A GOOD set of LT's will fit no prob Pacesetter, jba, edelbrock, gibson are a few comps that make a shorty header..
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Just curious as to what's wrong with the stock manifolds that they're "crapped out". Haven't heard of any problems with the actual manifolds on these trucks (such as cracking), but have heard and seen a lot of problems with the bolts breaking on them. You could probably get away with swapping in some new gaskets and bolts (if the original bolts come out).

That being said, I used to have Gibson stainless shorties...the quality was excellent, and they were on my truck for five years with no problems. Just some surface rust. They were around $500 when I got them though, before there were affordable LT's available for my truck. I'd be selling them, except I somehow misplaced one of them after moving my tools and equipment a few years back. I'll be moving again within the next month or so, and hopefully I'll find them both. From the top, they looked kinda cool, but didn't do anything for performance or sound. Didn't give me any problems with changing spark plugs or clearance with the plug wires.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The bolts are almost all broken off, they are rusted to kingdom come and there are a few small cracks on each. I could go just pick up some used ones that would definitly be a route to consider. I think last time i looked at some shorties i saw a quote somewhere for $375 so was trying to see if there were sponsors and discounts here or what??? I am used to LS1tech where if you say you want somethin you have like 10 sponsors running in trying to sell you it haha. If i can't get shortes for under $425 then i'll cave and buy LT's.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I know your pretty much set on shorties but I have edelbrock shorties and they did absolutely nothing at all. It wasn't worth the time to put them on.

Quick Reply: 02 Silverado 2500HD Headers