Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

03 6.0 Escalade Need MPG Improvement

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 04:46 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timvan
Ouch, 10.9 ....I got 11.7 with my H2

what is the throttle body bypass, and intake tube? Im assuming emission related?
you just take the hoses connnected to the throttle body, and hook them to each other. doubt its worth anything, other than piece of mind.
the intake tube is from airraid, it removes the factor resonator that gives you a cool sound..... a sound i hate when towing. so loud, i cant stand it.
gonna have to check the air fuel difference and milage with the stock one back on and see if it doesnt change. if the stock resonator pipe doesnt decrease my milage.... its going back on.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

I have been experimenting with trying to save some gas on my commute, and I have noticed that the MPG on these engines takes a dive really fast as you apply even a small amount of acceleration. I find that if I drive behind a semi-truck (not drafting but using it for pacing), that I can control my foot enough to keep things 'in the zone'. This morning, I got 18.4 MPG on my 22 mile drive of freeway and surface street driving (net elevation gain). But I have to limit myself to painfully slow acceleration and find it handy to lose speed going up hills and get it back on the downhill side. Even with 5 lanes on the freeway and at 6 AM, it is still hard to be able to keep your own pace, so peak MPG is never realized as you have to brake for idiots and then regain the speed. But it is quite an improvement over the 13 MPG I usually get when using the throttle a lot to keep the microscopic following distance that urban freeway driving requires
Note: I am not sure how accurate the Average MPG meter on the truck is on such short measurements (22 miles). It is possible that I am doing some things that are fooling it a bit. Like coasting in Neutral on the off ramp.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:59 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by David Cairns
I have been experimenting with trying to save some gas on my commute, and I have noticed that the MPG on these engines takes a dive really fast as you apply even a small amount of acceleration. I find that if I drive behind a semi-truck (not drafting but using it for pacing), that I can control my foot enough to keep things 'in the zone'. This morning, I got 18.4 MPG on my 22 mile drive of freeway and surface street driving (net elevation gain). But I have to limit myself to painfully slow acceleration and find it handy to lose speed going up hills and get it back on the downhill side. Even with 5 lanes on the freeway and at 6 AM, it is still hard to be able to keep your own pace, so peak MPG is never realized as you have to brake for idiots and then regain the speed. But it is quite an improvement over the 13 MPG I usually get when using the throttle a lot to keep the microscopic following distance that urban freeway driving requires
Note: I am not sure how accurate the Average MPG meter on the truck is on such short measurements (22 miles). It is possible that I am doing some things that are fooling it a bit. Like coasting in Neutral on the off ramp.
good info, but i find that the meters arent 100% correct.
i like to take my total miles, and divide it by the # of gallons to the tank, for my "overall MPG"
the 18mpg you got on your 22 mile commute would be hard to repeat on a full, or even half tank of gas.
take it easy.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Vacuum Gauge?

I have ben running a Radix for a little while. I have a Vac\Boost gauge and of course I was very interested in the effect of the blower on my "going to church on sunday" type of driving. I lost under 1 mpg City and no effect on Highway.
Getting to the point, I monitor the vacuum a good bit and find I get my best mpg keeping it in as much vacuum as possible. At times on flat road I can be cruising along and adjust my foot a tiny bit and increase the vacuum by 2 inches without loosing speed.
I installed Flex-a-Lites on my 03 Z71 5.3 and got 2 mpg city easy. That mech clutch was murder on it from light to light in the hot summer. Made the AC ice cold 100% of the time too.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

drives me nuts when the a/c blows heat for 30 seconds. only does it here and there. im sure you guys are fimilar with it, arrggg!
ill be doing 05 electric fans when they get a few at the local boneyard.
too cheap to buy them new.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by timvan
Thanks guys!
I already have a custom tune for 87 octane, with the 6.0L and AWD It gets 13 in the city..
whats the likely hood of adding e-fans, getting 2mpg, adding headers ,2mph..and cat back =?mpg

is it a linear thing, will I get 6mpg more with calm driving and the above mods?

Thanks Again!
I'm sure your rig would get slightly better mileage if it didn't have AWD. Did mpg increase after the custom tune? I was under the impression that it would improve it.