Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

04 silverado shooting flames!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plow0
Runs like **** 24/7 but doesn't run as bad when I first drive it for 2 or 3 minutes
When you first start your truck is in open loop. Check your o2s. My bet is they are the wrong ones, plugged in backwards, or the wires are damaged.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just so you know gm didnt do it and these are probably the easiest trucks you will find to work on. so i wouldnt suggest swapping brands because you made it shoot fire.

also you are being very vague...
how does it run when first started up
there has to be a cel so what codes
what was it doing that made you say cats? This could have been the original problem just not cats to stop the fireballs now
Old 04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
Well just so you know gm didnt do it and these are probably the easiest trucks you will find to work on. so i wouldnt suggest swapping brands because you made it shoot fire.

what was it doing that made you say cats? This could have been the original problem just not cats to stop the fireballs now

Exactly. GM by far is the easiest to work on..

Last edited by Mangled03gmc; 04-15-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way

I replaced cats because I was shooting peices of my cat out of my tail pipe, was throwing codes of p0300 and p0151 I believe , now it's just throwing code p0300. I haven't ran the truck since last night. I'm going to fix it then sell it. I haven't had just motor problems, I've all types of problems with my last 3 Chevys.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I'd be looking at the fuel system. I don't think there is any possibility that the computer is commanding enough fuel that you're shooting flames out the tailpipe, even with bad O2 sensors or anything like that. I'm wondering if an injector is stuck open or something. Possibly a bad FPR causing the fuel pressure to be too high? See if you can put a fuel pressure gauge on it to read the pressure. Turn the key on, ignition off, and see if the pressure bleeds down quickly. If so, I'd say you have a bad injector somewhere. If not, I'd start tracing fuel injector wiring to see if there's a short somewhere. IIRC all of the injectors share a common +12v lead, and the PCM switches the grounds on and off to fire the individual injectors.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's acting like this now, it is something that has been done to it... getting rid of it.. that's your choice. We have had many chevy trucks and not 1 problem more than any other machine would have. LS engines are easy to work on... wanna talk about a pain? My 07 Dodge Ram has had more problems in 2 years than my 1999 Silverado did in 5 years.

All car's are machines... and how they are treated reflect's hugely what fails and doesn't.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Teching In

I don't do any of the work on my vehicles, always mechanic maintained. Bringing it into the shop Monday and hopefully trading it in on Thursday
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You're going to sell a vehicle because of a minor issue. Why trade it in, once it gets fixed? Don't blame GM. Some people have issues. But 100 out of 20000 isn't a bad percentage.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:55 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aww hell ima sell my truck too cuz its too loud.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
Aww hell ima sell my truck too cuz its too loud.

Quick Reply: 04 silverado shooting flames!!!