Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

04 and up fuel system options???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dual in-tank pumps look sweet. larger fuel rails would help a bit. and of course injectors. I'm sure you could contact walbro or some manufacturer about a high output custom type pump.

btw, how in the hell are you going to pass SMOG?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

He has a five year grace period when buying a new vehicle in CA.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ah, I see. I'm glad I dont have to mess with smog regulations at all here in TX.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to modify your fuel system to use the aeromotive pump, that pump is one bad ****.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I found this to be a good read:

How to Build a Surge Tank
To convert some carbureted vehicles to EFI, we recommend fitting a fuel surge tank to avoid fuel feed problems, especially during hard cornering. This is also useful on many stock EFI cars which have poorly baffled tanks. The surge tank stores a small amount of fuel for the high pressure pump to pick up if flow from the main tank is interrupted for any reason.

Usually the tank is mounted in the engine compartment. Fuel is piped to it by either a stock engine driven mechanical pump or a low pressure electric pump. Often the stock electric pump can be used. A high pressure EFI pump will be mounted below the surge tank. The fuel gravity feeds into this pump and goes to the fuel rail. Fuel not used by the engine is returned from the rail, through the fuel pressure regulator, to the top of the surge tank. From here, if the surge tank is full, fuel is returned back to the main fuel tank. The schematic below shows a common setup:

Most tanks will have three fittings on the top, one for feed from the low pressure pump, one for fuel returned through the fuel pressure regulator and one for the return back to the main fuel tank. Usually only one fitting is used on the bottom of the tank for feeding the high pressure pump.

Tanks are usually about .5 to 1 liter in capacity, made from either steel or aluminum tubing. The tubing is usually 2.5 or 3 inch diameter and .050 to .075 wall thickness. A long tank allows any trapped air to rise to the top so it does not enter the high pressure pump. Threaded bosses are welded to the top and bottom caps or sides as in the example below. Usually 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT fittings are used but AN type fittings can also be used depending on your plumbing preferences.

This tank has 3 lower fittings for twin pumps plus a drain fitting. Earls NPT weld-in bosses are used. This tank is made from 3 inch, 6061 T6 tubing. Mild steel exhaust tubing also works well. All joints are carefully TIG welded. Test for leaks before installing
Old 07-03-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I can see, the only way to do it is to switch to a return style system. The dual in-tank pumps are an option, with a regulator up by the rails; as is the surge tank option. With these trucks, I believe we HAVE to keep the pump in the tank to operate correctly, since no sump can be built in to a plastic tank. Eventually.....I'm going to go with the double pumpers in the tank/return style system.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by wkdivr
From what I can see, the only way to do it is to switch to a return style system. The dual in-tank pumps are an option, with a regulator up by the rails; as is the surge tank option. With these trucks, I believe we HAVE to keep the pump in the tank to operate correctly, since no sump can be built in to a plastic tank. Eventually.....I'm going to go with the double pumpers in the tank/return style system.
the surge tank setups I've seen for similar applications are marketed for the return-less folks
Old 07-03-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah.....but you still have 2 pumps, a regulator outside the tank, and a return line. It just all happens back at the tank. IMHO, the best way to do it is to have your regulator close to, or on the rails, to minimize pressure differential.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so what is max hp on a single walbro? can it do 600?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.8T
so what is max hp on a single walbro? can it do 600?

I still have the single walbro and 60lb injectors. I hit 545rwhp at 6700 rpm on Nelson's Superflow dyno with no fuel pressure issues. However, I am spraying meth too.

According to Allen, the superflow numbers are about 7% lower than a dynojet.

545 x 1.07 = 583

I would think another 17rwhp is achievable without fueling problems, however I do believe that would approaching the limit very quickly.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out what i found. you may already know about it but i thought it was cool.
Chevy Truck 5.3/6.0 Double Pumper - Twin High Output Fuel Pump Kit, Wiring Harness & Hobbs Switch - Fully Assembled & Tested - Requires your sending unit for modification
2004 up Non-Return Style requires additional fuel system components $599.99

Stage 3 Street kit-1000hp (850-900rwhp)
2 Walbro 340 intank fuel pump
Walbro fuel pump install kit
NastyPerformance hotwire kit
NastyPerformance Billet fuel rails
MagnaFuel billet fuel pressure regulator w/boost ref.
MagnaFuel billet stainless steel fuel filter
Aeroquip -8 braided stainless feed fuel line
Aeroquip -6 braided stainless return fuel line
Aeroquip fittings and misc parts to complete install
Nasty Performance Stage 3 Street kit w/ Racetronixs PnP 340pumps $1599.99