Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

05 Tahoe that won't get out of it's own way..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Tahoe that won't get out of it's own way..

I have an 05 Tahoe Z71 and that thing is a pig. Are there any relatively inexpensive mods that I can do to this thing to make it faster? It still has the original tires on it from the factory and when those wear out I was planning on getting larger tires but, if this thing is this slow now I don't know if larger tires is smart.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Custom tune, gears, exhaust, and intake will turn it into a different vehicle...
Old 09-01-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when my Tahoe was NA the most cost effective mod I made was a[Yank TT 3000] convertor.The next most effective was longtube headers.With just those 2 mods the Tahoe would run high 14s.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thiems
Custom tune, gears, exhaust, and intake will turn it into a different vehicle...
With the tune, remove most of TM. That will eliminate the bog during the 1-2 shift. Also a new TC with a higher stall would help. I put a VIG 2400 into my Tahoe (kept it low since I tow) and it made quite a difference. Also agree an intake and cat-back will let it breath easier.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey nitrous would do wonders!!!

but i agree with the guys. Intake, Tune, Exhaust.. the usual..
Old 09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by whitt1
Back when my Tahoe was NA the most cost effective mod I made was a[Yank TT 3000] convertor.The next most effective was longtube headers.With just those 2 mods the Tahoe would run high 14s.
Did you ever tow anything with your TT 3000? I want to keep some towing abilities. I tow a pontoon usually.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Did you ever tow anything with your TT 3000? I want to keep some towing abilities. I tow a pontoon usually.
If you are going to tow, go something along the lines of a 2600 stall.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I think 2600 is close to max when it comes to towing. Check out the TT 2600, Yank still has their $375 special on it.

As for a tune I'd check out Wait4Me, can't beat it for $75. And you can make a homeade CAI for $50 or so.

Did your Tahoe come with e-fans? If not, LS1 fans might work.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

personally, i like "always there" power. A better term would be "daily driving power."

Converters sure get you going faster, but its basically only from a stop. Fans are fine, but only when your getting really hot. other than that, they provide negligable gain in power when your mech fan isn't engaged.

I opted for a tune and catback, then a 6.0 (which bang for the buck might just be the best thing out there if you have a 4.8 - still good over the 5.3 too)

Really, its where and when you want the power, how much you want, what you're willing to pay, how much youre willing to deal with (cam lope), emissions etc. Its why its called "customizing."

I wont get a CAI because they suck ***** in terms of filtration. I'm torn on E-fans; on because my mech fan is really only egauged when I'm idling for a long time. on the upside, it frees up power by reducing load on the engine. This means better MPG (marginally, if any. but its nice to not lose mpg for power), no additional load on the drivetrain/trans etc. Its also going to improve AC when idling. unfortunatly, i cant justify the cost:benifits ratio

Headers are my next thing, because they help power and dont really hurt anything but emissions. By reducing backpressure, I have a happier, cooler engine. My tune is pretty agressive and i'm borderline knocking with 91 octane (93 is available though) so headers are a logical upgrade. For someone with emissions issues, headers are a bad choice just like a 3400stall is for a tower.

I'm also considering a mild cam (really nice gains), but i'll never have any tuning like an OEM tune. a cam for both its effects and lack of solid tune means less mpg
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know if you're acquainted with Joel at Southern Automotive on Randleman Road, but you might consider him to dyno-tune your Tahoe for you. He's really good with these GenIII motors and has built some hairy-assed ones for local guys.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 05 Tahoe that won't get out of it's own way..