Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

08 sierra 1500 denali engine noise heeeeeelppp!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1STRTOKER
My 08 sierra denali has 80,000 and i have noticed a noise I have had some gm techs state that this noise could be piston slap which is common supposedly in the type engines. What do you all think about this, has anyone heard anything like this about these engines and piston slap.
The noise is very audible in the morning cold, and it will remain audible for about 5-9 mins before it quiets down, which works against all i know of a rod bearing issue where it generally gets worst when it gets warm, this noise goes away as the engine get up to operating temp. Also what type of oil pressure readings are you seing on your 6.2 engines, mine is around 40 cold, and 20 cold. I have only had the truck for almost a month, and am told that it still has factory powertrain warranty. Maybe i need a trip to the local stealership.

Your advice please!!!
Thanks in advance
It (the noise) sounds to me like cold piston slap, which is common on the earilier LS style engines. I have a 2000 ecsb that i bought w/ 23K on it and it had it then, and still has it now w/ 215K!, with no ill effects other than the noise first thing after start-up. But when GM started tightening up the clearance and put the coating on the piston skirts, (like in '03 or '04), I thought it pretty much stopped the problem?
If I were you, I'd be more worried about the low oil pressure, even my old 2k model starts w/ 55# cold, and idles hot @ 45#, and run hot @55-60#.
Sure, you can change the oil and filter and it will go away or as least get better for a week or two, and them it"s right back again. so don't let the dealership feed you crap. If it is under warrany, go for a new motor. Good luck!