Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1/4 mile gains going from 3.42s to 3.90s

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snoman
some extra RPM does not hurt a engine nor does shorten its life as some claim (lugging a engine too much under a load can actually shorten its life) and it reduces the piston/ring/bearing loads at a the same HP level as it take more pressure and strain to produce say 80HP at 1800 RPM than it does at 2300 RPM.
This is my exact reasoning when it comes to gearing.

I've got 22mpg in my truck with 4.10's and 30.5" tires. I get better mileage driving around in 3rd with the RPM's up around 2K, as opposed to lugging OD/Lockup up hills at around 1,300rpm for example. I changed my shift patterns to help me out there.

I'd look into 4.56's if I didn't have a front diff to worry about. I love short gearing.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Yea but what are you gonna do when you pull super hard to 60 mph then fall flat on your face because your out of gear?

With Chingys setup he will rape me till about 70, then ill come back and pass him. So what do you finish your 1/4 at? I know its more than 70 mph

Its not like if you add 410s you get more pull and more top end, something has to give. Take off is great, but I dont like to rip *** off the line then get my *** handed to me at the end

Also if you look at the fastest truck list there arnt many running 410s. Most 373s if I remember correctly.
Not sure how you figure that. The quicker you get to your power peak and the closer you are to it in top gear (meaning drive here) at quarter mile end, the faster your ET will be all things being equal. You take any gas powered truck you see listed here with a 3.73 and install a 4.10 and it will go faster through a 1/4 mile because you will be able to better use your engines power range. Also any way you cut it, with deeper gears your will not only "rip ***" of the line but pull better in 2nd and 3rd because of a deeper over all ratio in those gears. You would have to get up to 4.88's or more with a stock engine and tires before you would be getting past peak power in drive maybe before end of run.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have 342s and I dont think I would ever go 410s unless I was planning on keeping the stock stall converter or putting in a 4L80. Chingon has 410s and a 3200 stall, on stock or street tries you can say BYE BYE to traction. It is just geared wayyyyy too low to get any traction. With DR's or slicks, sure it takes off out of the hole like a bat outa hell, but to me thats just not practical. I like driving on the street and my races mostly happen on street tires on the street.

I got a posi and was going to do 390 gears knowing 410 was higher than I wanted to go but my plans changed. Now im gettin a 3500 stall to make up for my low end not being there, and see how the 342 gears like a big stall. If I still dont have the low end I want, I MIGHT go to 373s, never 410s

hey, when you try that let me know how it does, i was planning in doing that maybe in a few months??? i already have the 342s but i was thinking about a 2500 stall???
Old 10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by snoman
The quicker you get to your power peak and the closer you are to it in top gear (meaning drive here) at quarter mile end, the faster your ET will be all things being equal.
Ok, so with say 410s you will reach your power peak alot faster but you will also go through that power peak alot faster.

With that same thinking, wouldnt you say that if you had 342s you might not reach your power peak as fast (solved with stall converter), but you will stay in your power peak alot LONGER, right?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was running Firehawk Indy 500's stock 16" rim and I finish te 1/4 in 3rd! When I get a stall i dont plan on ahving traction issues either!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Ok, so with say 410s you will reach your power peak alot faster but you will also go through that power peak alot faster.

With that same thinking, wouldnt you say that if you had 342s you might not reach your power peak as fast (solved with stall converter), but you will stay in your power peak alot LONGER, right?
You are missing the point here, you want to use your gears through drive pretty fully in a 1/4 mile if you want your best times. In a quarter mile you shift at or before your power peak, not after it as engine power falls off and as your engine only makes say 270hp at this peak and if you are reved alot lot less going across the finish line you will only have the force of 200HP or less "pulling" you across the line in drive. Furthermore, when you compare a 3.42 to a 4.10, you will put down about 22% more tractive effort in every gear (mechanical advantage of deeper gears) with the 4.10 which tranlates into more acceleration. Also a high stall converter may help you launch but it will not do you one bit of good at mid track or at the deep end as that is were your gears will make you or break you. (I seen a poster that wants to use a 3500 RPM stall with a 3.42 axle, WHAT A MISTAKE!!!) Now, run some 4.56's with a 2800 RPM stall and a "warmed" engine that is very strong to 5500 to 6000 RPM and you will have some exciting acceleration and wild hole shots too, even in a 5000lb truck.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

I guess we will see ....
Old 10-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Banned

Yea but what are you gonna do when you pull super hard to 60 mph then fall flat on your face because your out of gear?

With Chingys setup he will rape me till about 70, then ill come back and pass him. So what do you finish your 1/4 at? I know its more than 70 mph

Its not like if you add 410s you get more pull and more top end, something has to give. Take off is great, but I dont like to rip *** off the line then get my *** handed to me at the end

Also if you look at the fastest truck list there arnt many running 410s. Most 373s if I remember correctly.
All I can say is, I went from 3.42's to 4.10's and from 45 to 80 is really strong, I can take my Buddies SS Silverado from 45 to 80, then he pulls back up with me and at about 90 it starts to really wake up! Off the line is really stong too. We can race from a stop and its pretty much dead even. , Im not hounding on you, but 4.10's are defninetly the way to go!!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

to the snowman
Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12sec.5.3
to the snowman
right back at you

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile gains going from 3.42s to 3.90s