Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1/4 mile gains going from 3.42s to 3.90s

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to start another debate but in my truck I actually gained 2mpg going from 3.42-4.10 and I drive 50-80 everywhere I go! I honestly think in my situation then reason I gained 2mpg is because the way I drive. This is just my theory now so it cxould be really off but I didn gain 2mpg- When I had the 3.42's I would stomp the gas to try to get up to my normal driving speed 50+(in the city-yeah I know) but with the 4.10's I dont have to hammer the pedal as much to get to my speed. The 4.10's are quicker. Thats the onyl way I figure that I gained 2mpg and I did because I watch and calculate every tank Ive ever filled since I bough the truck!
Old 10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://forum.ls1truck.com/index.php?showtopic=2650&hl=

look over there and read a post on 4:10 vs 3:73's on identical trucks..

so who here has gained 3/4's of a second in similar conditions from the 4:10 jump..
Old 10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Here is a little info from a member named Farmtruc...

He is known on the boards for his tuning skills and it seems has enough experience in trucks to lay down a few opinions.
I took this quote from Ls1truck.com, Farmtruc said:

... I've actually been in a race where two identical trucks, even the same color, one with 3.73's and the other with 4.10's, the 4.10's would take the other off the line about 1/2 a truck length, then as mid 1st gear came along, the 3.73 truck would pull ahead a truck length, because he was able to stretch 1st longer, it was like this all the way through third, the 3.73 stayed a head but very little.
So. With that said this all reflects on my REAL LIFE expereince I have had with my 342s and Chingons 373s and 410s. Real life data doesnt lie. Im not going to sit here and say the 342s are faster than 410s because that was never what I was saying. What I AM saying is the 342s will be in a gear longer, thus remaining in the power peak longer (right Snoman?). 410s might make more torque in each gear, but you go through the gear so much faster. Lets not get into driver skill beacuse I dont think thats a valid point here.

Take off is awesome with the 410s (if you have traction), but on the freeway they die. There have been people saying how the 410s are stronger in EVERY gear, and should be faster in EVERY gear, obviously wrong

I think with a good converter you can pick up alot of low end takeoff lost with the 342s, but I woudnt say the 342s are ideal. I got them stock on my truck and LOVE the freeway power, but could see myself going to 373s (410s with a 4l80).

I didnt post this to start ****, I posted it because I think its good info. Lets keep it friendly around here
Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nekkid_hill_billy
and i dunno how you get 22 mpg out of a ss when a friends dad couldnt 16 on the interstate out of one........this is a 65 yr old man btw.........he traded it off b/c of that reason went and got a diesel
I'm not BS'in!

I only manage 19's now since the cam swaps... Neither of the cams were/are efficient in the sub 2,000rpm range I normally drive it.

Stock, All I got was 16's... maybe a very low 17. I could spank the truck all day, or putt around holding up everyone behind me - 16's.

I get my best mileage off the interstate, also... The truck is most efficient at the lowest possible RPM you can run, while being locked up in OD. The wind resistance really hurts MPG on the highway...
Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

I'm pretty stubborn about the fact that I think deep gears are better 'everywhere'. I still 'may' be able to be schooled.

I'm trying to think of a good reason why the taller geared truck pulled the lower geared one. How equal were the trucks, otherwise?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
Not trying to start another debate but in my truck I actually gained 2mpg going from 3.42-4.10 and I drive 50-80 everywhere I go! I honestly think in my situation then reason I gained 2mpg is because the way I drive. This is just my theory now so it cxould be really off but I didn gain 2mpg- When I had the 3.42's I would stomp the gas to try to get up to my normal driving speed 50+(in the city-yeah I know) but with the 4.10's I dont have to hammer the pedal as much to get to my speed. The 4.10's are quicker. Thats the onyl way I figure that I gained 2mpg and I did because I watch and calculate every tank Ive ever filled since I bough the truck!

Your logic is sound and proven as you need to get engine near is torque peak for best MPG under load.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rgvsierra
http://forum.ls1truck.com/index.php?showtopic=2650&hl=

look over there and read a post on 4:10 vs 3:73's on identical trucks..

so who here has gained 3/4's of a second in similar conditions from the 4:10 jump..

You might have to watch your launch a bit more (that is what a throttle is for) but the 4.10 would eat then all on a 1/4 mile once they were rolling as you will but more power down to track in every gear which equal more accelleration in the end. A 3.42 would get its butt kicked totally.

over 25 years ago a friend of mine souped up a old 66 charger with a 383. With stock 3.55 gears and a 4 speed and street slick it could not get past low 14's in a 1/4 at around 100 in 3rd at finish. When we put 4.56's in it it dropped to high 12's at over 110mph in fourth.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than than a whole second and 10mph + with just a gear swap.... I have a friend with an ext cab who swers on his 4.10's. I am still a little skeptical on them. Looks like I will keeping my 3.73 on both of my truck for now.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tiburon
More than than a whole second and 10mph + with just a gear swap.... I have a friend with an ext cab who swers on his 4.10's. I am still a little skeptical on them. Looks like I will keeping my 3.73 on both of my truck for now.

We could not get a good launch with 3.55's, grippy tires and the cam in the engine (it idled roughly at about 1500 rpm and it was either burn them badly or bog) and could never get past third in a quarter. When we went to 4.56's the launches were great and it really pulled though the gears and used 4th too. It was a big old heavy fastback too. Nice looking car at the time.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MacADaYear
Here is a little info from a member named Farmtruc...

He is known on the boards for his tuning skills and it seems has enough experience in trucks to lay down a few opinions.
I took this quote from Ls1truck.com, Farmtruc said:

So. With that said this all reflects on my REAL LIFE expereince I have had with my 342s and Chingons 373s and 410s. Real life data doesnt lie. Im not going to sit here and say the 342s are faster than 410s because that was never what I was saying. What I AM saying is the 342s will be in a gear longer, thus remaining in the power peak longer (right Snoman?). 410s might make more torque in each gear, but you go through the gear so much faster. Lets not get into driver skill beacuse I dont think thats a valid point here.

Take off is awesome with the 410s (if you have traction), but on the freeway they die. There have been people saying how the 410s are stronger in EVERY gear, and should be faster in EVERY gear, obviously wrong

I think with a good converter you can pick up alot of low end takeoff lost with the 342s, but I woudnt say the 342s are ideal. I got them stock on my truck and LOVE the freeway power, but could see myself going to 373s (410s with a 4l80).

I didnt post this to start ****, I posted it because I think its good info. Lets keep it friendly around here
4.10s are stronger in every gear. They just can't downshift as far

Quick Reply: 1/4 mile gains going from 3.42s to 3.90s