Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1 bar, 2 bar, 3 bar, tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
And by then, someone will have worked out all the kinks on a 3bar tune too.
someone like you
Old 06-30-2005, 11:01 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was seeing a solid 18psi on my stock 4.8 with peeks as high as 22psi. that got me to a wheel spining 49x rwhp on a mustang dyno. not sure why but i couldn't get any more boost out of it.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would going with a standalone like megasquirt circumvent this or is a 2 or 3 bar map still needed?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would one of you have a picture of what a Gen-III MAP looks like? Part #12580698 in particular...

I'm interrested in the connector especially. I need to get a 2-bar sensor working on my Gen-I Vortec PCM to run a true MPFI manifold with larger injectors. I've already got a Gen-III MAF and harness adapter and the complete intake manifold with injectors, but I figure getting the MAF and MAP working first is a prerequisite. The objective here is to fuel it through 8 real injectors and ditch the Whippletronics with the two auxiliary units. I may post some pictures of this whole thing in another thread if there is enough curiosity. (That's all very easy for Gen-III folks, but for a Gen-I Vortec it's re-inventing the wheel.)
Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by BooBsRGR8
would going with a standalone like megasquirt circumvent this or is a 2 or 3 bar map still needed?
yep. the standard megasquirt comes with a 250kpa sensor, thats something like 21psi. you can get it with a 300kpa(3 bar), 400kpa or even higher.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPT 2bar tuning extends the your VE tables ,with a wideband and enhanced histogram allows for easier more accurate tuning of fuel mixtures on a FI motor.But it's not going to make everyone into an expert tuner nor is it the only way to properly tune a FI motor.Several aftermarket systems like FAST,DFI and Big Stuff 3 offer 2 and 3bar tuning.I don't know if Megasquirt will currently support 2bar tuning or not,but I would suspect it could be made to work with the proper programming,if you had the time and ability to develop the program for a LS1 application.

Last edited by whitt1; 07-01-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:27 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by James B.
Would one of you have a picture of what a Gen-III MAP looks like? Part #12580698 in particular...

I'm interrested in the connector especially. I need to get a 2-bar sensor working on my Gen-I Vortec PCM to run a true MPFI manifold with larger injectors. I've already got a Gen-III MAF and harness adapter and the complete intake manifold with injectors, but I figure getting the MAF and MAP working first is a prerequisite. The objective here is to fuel it through 8 real injectors and ditch the Whippletronics with the two auxiliary units. I may post some pictures of this whole thing in another thread if there is enough curiosity. (That's all very easy for Gen-III folks, but for a Gen-I Vortec it's re-inventing the wheel.)

I'll try to get a picture of the 1bar MAP up this weekend (the 2bar #12580698 looks exactly the same). If I forget, please hit me with a PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Originally Posted by whitt1
I don't know if Megasquirt will currently support 2bar tuning or not,but I would suspect it could be made to work with the proper programming,if you had the time and ability to develop the program for a LS1 application.

MS comes with a 2.5bar MAP as Jim said, and supports a 3bar upgrade.

It works fine on LS1 stuff -- the only caveat is the ETC -- I had daily-driver problems there, but Jim didn't.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by parish8
i was seeing a solid 18psi on my stock 4.8 with peeks as high as 22psi. that got me to a wheel spining 49x rwhp on a mustang dyno. not sure why but i couldn't get any more boost out of it.
well you said you were getting valve float could this be why. if you didn't have valve float do you think you could get over 500 for like a night at the track?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
single digit dreamer

i was seeing valve float up top. everytime we turned the boost up it floated at a lower rpm. springs would have helped this. there was more going on that day than just the valve float.

first thing is wheel spin. at the time i didn't know it was a problem. i have never been able to get over 500rwhp on that dyno. i could get close but not over. after going there with a number of diferent set up's and always peaking out just shy of 500rwhp i finialy figured out the wheels were spining.

i dont know this for sure, just thinking out loud here but i think we were making way more that 49x rwhp that day and the turbo may have been near it's max flow. once on a dynojet with traction(less load) we were able to quickly find the limit of the turbo. with the 6.0 it was 6xxrwhp and with the 408 it was still 6xx rwhp. there is a chance the 4.8 was up in that range that day but with the wheel slip we couldn't get a measurement.

my boost controler was showing a peek of 22psi at times. with the wheels sliping the mustang dyno was trying to compensate for the the engine rpms going up, it actualy increased the load. the load was varying greatly with the dyno trying to control things and making the wheel slip issues even worse.

Last edited by parish8; 07-03-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 1 bar, 2 bar, 3 bar, tuning question