Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1000 rwhp turbo build question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You think you can build a 1250HP engine, Trans, rear axle and supporting mods for less than 25K. $2700 for a LSX block, $3000 for a rotating assembly, $2,500 for heads, $2,500 for valve train include cam. Thats $11 grand right there.

Now given these is all top quality stuff, shaft mounted rockers and so on. I honestly wouldn't want to run that much power on a production vehicle block but that is just me. I would say if you want to push the limits of a production engine you can probably get away with 10-15 grand build. A blower/Turbo setup will set you back 5-7000 grand.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:25 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I am talking just the engine. If you mean everything else then ya your gonna pass 25k
Old 05-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Ya the motor alone should be around 10-15k budget I think. Then again I have never built a motor much over 500Hp so I dont know all the ends and outs for the much power. But my best guess for the entire build is around 25k
Old 05-22-2016, 02:56 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
That doesn't take a $25k engine. With a total $25k budget I could put down 1k to the wheels and then drive it to Canada and back.
I think you missed the part about beating the **** out of it. I'm pretty sure George could get it done though. lol

It's not a question of whether it can be done. Look at the drag week guys. Tell Tom Bailey you want to drive to canada and back. I know this is an extreme example but, reliability is his game.....power is second. If you can't finish the race, who gives a **** was it ran on day one. There is a lot of money spent on his behalf with the only goal being reliability.

1000 rwhp daily drivers are certainly possible. I just think you're gonna have a major headache and move on to another hobby after you've spent your $25k (this thread assuming that is all that will be spent).
Old 05-22-2016, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake75
heads/cam/stall lq9, tbss intake, udp, efans
So that's what my sig says. Is this the cool way to show you don't know what the **** you're talking about?

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
I think 25K is a bit much but a stock motor isn't going to like that HP level for along time. Making 1/4m passes is one thing but something that is routinely going to be beat and be reliable then time for some good parts. Depends the combo and fuel. Also how fast you spin it is going to come into play. I would like to think my new motor will handle that without issue and it wasn't 25k. Also, a turbo setup is easier on the motor then a supercharged setup. The blower puts a large load on the crank so that will tie up some money to address that issue.

When it comes to high rpm a blower will really try to flex the crank do to the loading off of the front. Some also say at high RPM the back pressure of a turbo setup helps the rods live longer at higher RPM, I get the logic but don't know how much it really factors in.

I wanted mine to handle 7k rpm and 18psi or more so given that its a blower and not a turbo I put some money into the bottom end. Would my stock 6.0 do that? Ya most likely, but for how long is the question. I had it to 16psi and 6700 numerous times but didn't really get a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.
Wasn't talking about a stock engine at all. And with a 25k budget, you'll be able to afford an engine that can.

Originally Posted by Blown06
I think you missed the part about beating the **** out of it. I'm pretty sure George could get it done though. lol

It's not a question of whether it can be done. Look at the drag week guys. Tell Tom Bailey you want to drive to canada and back. I know this is an extreme example but, reliability is his game.....power is second. If you can't finish the race, who gives a **** was it ran on day one. There is a lot of money spent on his behalf with the only goal being reliability.

1000 rwhp daily drivers are certainly possible. I just think you're gonna have a major headache and move on to another hobby after you've spent your $25k (this thread assuming that is all that will be spent).
Yeah man he would build one and never run it. But it would be the best ever built.

Wow so I guess we need to define beating the **** out of it, lol.

Speaking of drag week. You see the ford fairmont on there a few years ago?
Old 05-22-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
So that's what my sig says. Is this the cool way to show you don't know what the **** you're talking about?
you got me!

No but in reality I'm building a motor for 1000+ hp setup (408 and s488) that i've spent ~3500 on the short block. As much as i'd like for it to last forever i'm not expecting it to if i beat it on the street, weekend casual cruising would be a different story....i hope!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Obviously you can build one cheaper than this but this gives you some idea of what is needed, this is a twin turbo LSX 427 that is almost making 1000hp at the crank on pump has and 1380 on race gas. Nelson Racing engines are great but have a very high price tag, $37,200. I do love their mirror image turbo and alien intake manifolds.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/a...427-tt-cdd.pdf
Old 05-23-2016, 01:56 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never really added it up, but the motor in my truck would handle 1000 rwhp and be daily driver friendly (before I filled it up). It is about the cheapest way to go for a semi reliable build at that power level. Stock 6.0 block, eagle crank/rods, diamond pistons make up the short block. I spent lots of money on the valve train. Crower everything, hippo solid lifters, shaft mount rockers etc. I bought the Edelbrock 245cc heads used, had a valve job/springs done and machine work to accept the larger spring, also I did +.100 long valves to help accommodate the solid roller spring. Edelbrock super vic, aaron elbow and a used NW 90mm. Thats pretty much the basics.....I'm sure there are a few other details. When it was all said and done the first time I built it, from Throttle body to pan, and balancer to flywheel.......I had spend around $20,000 total.

OP asked about 1000 rwhp through an 80e.....hp at the flywheel would likely be around 1250.

Then you move onto everything behind the flywheel. 1000 for a good converter, 3500+ minimum for a decent 4l80, 3000+ minimum for a real that will handle t/b launches and cruising, 4000+ minimum in electrical/efi related **** and bam, before you know it your over another $10,000.

Still need a fairly massive fuel system, fairly massive cooling system, a good intercooler system and some other misc **** that takes it another $5,000.

Factor in the price of the truck, suspension mods that I haven't even mentioned, wheels/tires/brakes and you can see how $50,000 could sneak up on you pretty quick.

Somebody had asked how much money I had in my truck in my current build thread..........The truck has essentially been through 3 major make overs since I bought it new and now it is on the 4th. If you added up every dollar since day one, it's more than some people pay for a house. However, if you already had the truck and wanted to duplicate it all at once, I'd say somewhere between $90,000 and $100,000. Change to a turbo set up, and keep the motor wet and you could have a very nice 1000+ rwhp street truck.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:58 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Give me $30k and ill make you a DD 1000rwhp street truck
Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude, how are y'all gonna give me a hard time for questioning the need for a 25k engine that will daily 1k rwhp? then you say your China forged engines can handle that power.

10k will get you trans, converter, and rear end. I have a jakes stage 4 and a Yank triple disk. $5k total. With your money I have 5k for rear end, driveshaft, and extras ( remote trans cooler, etc)

Going to run a 7675 cea. My turbo kit is built, turbo bought. Trick hot side, custom stainless 3" cold side. 5.8 - 6k. Add another thousand for a turbo that will make 1k rwhp with a 6.0 and not maxed out. Then a few hundred for a bigger down pipe, cuz 3" inst going to cut it.

I already have billet fuel rails and an adjustable afpr. Let say that was ~$400. 80# 5.0 motor sports black ops injectors and 2 walbro 450s, I spent ~1100. I'd prob get the 120# injectors to run e85. So that bumps the money to $1800.

So, that put total spent ~ $19k That leaves $5k. We all know whatever you planned to spend on a project, add at least 2k. So 25k budget isn't going to cover everything. But like Atomic posted, it gets you damn close.

Don't get how 1000'horses to the ground is like some kind of unicorn on this site. There's some well documented threads of guys doing with stock rotating assemblies, over and over again. Even when George was stroking his epeen a about a hypothetical 1500, I was like ppl I know put that power down a couple years ago...with smaller turbos. I know a guy with a '02 ss putting down 950 with a f1 through a stock crank 370. Been making that power since '09.

Quick Reply: 1000 rwhp turbo build question