Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

1000hp with stock fuel lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 04:49 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1000hp with stock fuel lines?

any one know out stock fuel line sizes? check this out http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuel...nearticle.html

with a pair of gss340 pumps, one set to come on later, it looks like we could run 1000hp if we have the same size lines as the GN. anyone know?
Old 08-31-2003, 06:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1000hp with stock fuel lines?

I'd assume the GN rails are more performance oriented than the truck rails. I see many from the 5.0 crowd going over to Aeromotive fuel rails, pumps, and regulators.

Only things I would raise an eyebrow to would be: supply line size to the rails, crossover to second rail from supply rail, general non consistant flow between the rails themselves, and the actual ID of the rails.

Are the fuel systems on these trucks a non-return or do they have supply and return lines? Reason I ask is from what I remember the newer Mustangs use a non-return system.

Could you run dual intanks, dual seperate rails with no return lines?

Check this link for new rails... https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...31&fpart=1
Old 08-31-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone has to have an Intake with some fuel rails hanging around
Where are all the guys with motors being built ?
someone take a tape to the Rails and the lines
Or does it Say in the helms Manuals ?

jim
Old 08-31-2003, 09:06 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the inlet is 3/8" and the return is 5/16". The inside of the rails is pretty big. I'll try to measure it but, the end caps don't come off AFAIK.

Let you know in a little while.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Ok, went and took some measurements and cut a stock fuel rail in half to see what was inside.

ID size of inlet on fuel rail - ~.260"
ID size of return on fuel rail - ~.180"
ID size of fuel rail - ~.860"

There is what I would call a spacer inside the fuel rail that runs the entire length. It looks like it is there to keep the endcaps from being pushed in too far. It take up some space but, not much. The stock rails should have no problem supporting BIG horsepower. My only concern would be the single side feed line. I'd rather see them fed from both sides and a return in the middle crossover or returns outta both sides.

Here are some pics of the guts. The spacer is just a piece. The whole thing together runs the entire length of the rail and has the brown plastic caps on both ends. It fits perfectly in between the aluminum end caps. The end caps are held in place with a crimped on ring. I had to destroy the ring in order to get it off.

Piece of Spacer

End view of spacer

Endcap

End view of fuel rail
Old 08-31-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks For looking into that
Now for me what's .260" in Fraction form is that close to 5/16ths

Have you seen pictures of Nasty Performances fuel rails they look like the ticket
I'm more worried about the stock Cross over pipe
on the fuel rails
Gettin even flow on both sides might be an issue with the stock rail
Like parish Said twin inline pumps 340's
One will run constant the other I'll have setup with a hobbs style switch to turn on to a set amount of boost
this setup will be fairly cheap and effective i think
Still have to run it by ARE and see what they think about it

Old 08-31-2003, 10:43 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the sacrifice, i really thought it would be closer to 3/8th's, damn!

looks like new lines and rails for any serious all out project, the rails are huge but the inlet and outlet are the same size as the lines right?

might as well go right to 1/2" for the feed and 3/8" for the return, would that be a -10an and a -6an? seems like i have seen those sizes listed before.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the sacrifice, i really thought it would be closer to 3/8th's, damn!

looks like new lines and rails for any serious all out project, the rails are huge but the inlet and outlet are the same size as the lines right?

might as well go right to 1/2" for the feed and 3/8" for the return, would that be a -10an and a -6an? seems like i have seen those sizes listed before.
Pretty much what I was thinking on custom/high flow rails being a necessity for an all-out no holds barred project. I can't think of any really, really fast rides running a stock type fuel rail setup if there is something better available that allows for consistant and even flow.

Now if you could figure out how to increase the Supply and Return lines you may be able to keep the stock rails...if that is possible I don't know.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:56 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Jim - .260 is just a tiny bit bigger than 1/4"(.250). 5/16" = .3125

To figure out what the AN number is just put it on top of 16 and reduce it to get the equivalent size in inches.

Example:

-6 AN = 6/16 = 3/8"
-8 AN = 8/16 = 1/2"

I'm pretty sure the lines are the same ID size as the fuel rail. If not they're very close.

I was curious myself after seeing that metallic piece down in the fuel rail so it didn't take much to bust out the hacksaw and check it out.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:00 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I think Harlan runs a -10 AN from the pump to a Y-block. Then from the Y-block runs a -8 AN to each rail. I'm not sure what he does for a return but, that is not as important as the feed. -6 would probably be fine, you don't want the return to big or it will be harder for the pumps/regulator to maintain a given pressure I would think.

Quick Reply: 1000hp with stock fuel lines?