Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

100k+ 5.3 cam swap, additional parts??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100k+ 5.3 cam swap, additional parts??

I know there are a million cam threads, but I've been searching for a while now and can't find what I want to know.

I have a 2002 5.3 sierra with 110k miles on it, the engine and trans run strong and have been black bear tuned for about 2 years now.
I'm ready to do a cam swap and headers, and have narrowed it down to a 210-212/218 cam. I've seen that the oil pump should be replaced, along with timing chain, springs, pushrods, etc.

Do I need to change retainers with the springs, or reuse stock?

Do I need to change the timing gears? Are the stock chains roller or not, and will a double roller fit or not fit in the truck engine?

Do I need to change the lifters and trays? How can I tell if I need to change a lifter?

Are the factory rockers sufficient, or will I see any gains from swapping to a roller rocker?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
I was planning on dropping the oil pan to get to the pickup tube and o-ring. Since my truck is lifted it won't be bad to drop the pan.

Just looking for people experiences of parts that needed to be changed on a high mileage cam swap...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fix-it man
I know there are a million cam threads, but I've been searching for a while now and can't find what I want to know.

I have a 2002 5.3 sierra with 110k miles on it, the engine and trans run strong and have been black bear tuned for about 2 years now.
I'm ready to do a cam swap and headers, and have narrowed it down to a 210-212/218 cam. I've seen that the oil pump should be replaced, along with timing chain, springs, pushrods, etc.

Do I need to change retainers with the springs, or reuse stock?

Do I need to change the timing gears? Are the stock chains roller or not, and will a double roller fit or not fit in the truck engine?

Do I need to change the lifters and trays? How can I tell if I need to change a lifter?

Are the factory rockers sufficient, or will I see any gains from swapping to a roller rocker?

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
I was planning on dropping the oil pan to get to the pickup tube and o-ring. Since my truck is lifted it won't be bad to drop the pan.

Just looking for people experiences of parts that needed to be changed on a high mileage cam swap...
Use the stock retainers with the ls6 springs..buy some hardned pushrods..new balancer bolt.. leave everything else alone.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What he said....if it still has good oil pressure don't worry bout it...all you need cam bigger spring and harden pr's and retune then burnout time!
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Subscribed* cause I too am looking to do cam and LT's in my ccsb with 145k on the clock. I think i have bad oil pressure gauge that is pegging at 80 but drops to zero under wot. Hoping its just stepper motor and nothing more. Should I not worry about pump and timing chain yet too? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I would put a good set of spark plugs in it as well. My Denali has the E3 plugs in it for about 10,000 miles now and all is good.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did my first cam swap at 109k, Second at 170k. The only thing i've changed on my motor is the cam, Springs, valve seals, Pushrods and added headers. Just throw some new plugs in while your at it and keep on keepin on.
Now sitting at 214k miles with no issues.

NGK TR6 is what I run. I wouldn't run E3 in a lawn mower.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

I put new autolite irridium plugs in about 10k miles ago along with the 90* boot gto wires that will clear the headers, so I'm good there.

I have good oil pressure, idles just above 40 and goes to 60-70 during wot. So if oil pressure is good I can reuse the stock oil pump?

Since I have to pull the oil pump I should at least replace the o-ring on the pickup tube though?

And I can reuse the stock timing gears, they don't wear out correct? Just get a new single timing chain for peace of mind.

So a cam swap really is as simple as cam, springs, pushrods, timing chain, and gaskets/bolts?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too did my first swap at exactly 100,700 and we did was new springs retainers and cam.. but no need to pull oil pump unless u need new one. timing chain also. once u take the 3bolts out of the timing gear thats located in front the cam the chain will fall and sit on the crank gear. then just get a magnet to pull it up when u putting it back together,... main thing just make sure the timing is close before the take the gear and chain off.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just did a cam swap in my friend's 5.3 with 135K miles. Slapped in a used cam, used LS6 springs, used pushrods and buttoned it all back up. Running great!
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

the oil pump is sort of an "if it aint broke don't fix it" typeof thing, i would slap on an LS2 timing chain, but not the double roller

Quick Reply: 100k+ 5.3 cam swap, additional parts??