Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

100mm MAF for LSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 100mm tunable MAF sounds great to me.But,I doubt very seriously that many NA applications would benefit from it's use.The idea of having a MAF to optimize part throttle tuning without sacrificing any airflow to my supercharger sounds like the best of all worlds,horsepower,drivability and fuel economy.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:13 PM
9 Second Club

GM has not always used MAF though, a lot of the smaller cars i.e. my cavalier, is not MAF. I know that its not a hi-performance car ( nor do I act like it is) but it is functional year round. I am sure there might be some variance, but I still lean towards SD as far as tuning for Power.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino79
but I still lean towards SD as far as tuning for Power.
WHY? How does that give you a "more powerful" tune? What you fail to mention is that older vehicles with only the capibility for speed density have an IAT sensor that is located in the intake tubing. This allows for the computer to make adjustments for air charge temp variance. Have you ever seen a manufactor build a vehicle without an IAT sensor? It would be unheard of from an engineering standpoint. On our trucks the IAT sensor is located inside the MAF.

ONE MORE QUICK NOTE: On your GM vehicle you will notice that anytime you are in speed density that the pcm automaticaly reverts to the LOW OCTANE TIMING table. Why? Because the pcm can no longer compensate for elevated IATS which would cause detonation. In MAF it will pull timing when IAT is elevated to prevent detonation.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8
WHY? How does that give you a "more powerful" tune? What you fail to mention is that older vehicles with only the capibility for speed density have an IAT sensor that is located in the intake tubing. This allows for the computer to make adjustments for air charge temp variance. Have you ever seen a manufactor build a vehicle without an IAT sensor? It would be unheard of from an engineering standpoint. On our trucks the IAT sensor is located inside the MAF.

ONE MORE QUICK NOTE: On your GM vehicle you will notice that anytime you are in speed density that the pcm automaticaly reverts to the LOW OCTANE TIMING table. Why? Because the pcm can no longer compensate for elevated IATS which would cause detonation. In MAF it will pull timing when IAT is elevated to prevent detonation.
With SD you still use a IAT sensor, it still compensates for the IAT changes and ECT changes, just depends on how the IAT vs. VE and IAT vs. ECT multipliers are set. Yes you do need to copy and paste the High octane on to the low octane table.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

With SD you still use a IAT sensor, it still compensates for the IAT changes and ECT changes, just depends on how the IAT vs. VE and IAT vs. ECT multipliers are set. Yes you do need to copy and paste the High octane on to the low octane table.

you are 100% correct in that regard.

They are talking about deleting the MAF all together. In that case there would be no IAT sensor.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Yes there would be, you take the 2 wires for the integrated IAT sensor in the MAF and use a GM style IAT sensor like one from a Syclone pickup, that is threaded and you can plumb it wherever you like and just plug it in to the two wires from the MAF for the IAT.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:12 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes there would be, you take the 2 wires for the integrated IAT sensor in the MAF and use a GM style IAT sensor like one from a Syclone pickup, that is threaded and you can plumb it wherever you like and just plug it in to the two wires from the MAF for the IAT.
That is what I thought most people running a SD tune did. Just relocate the IAT sensor. The radix IAT is in the manifold, so i am sure you can relocate them.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:12 PM
9 Second Club

That being said, MAF does allow for more altitude and temp variances as a properly tuned MAF can calculate for these extreme change. With SD you will be relying on IAT, TPS, MAP, and O2's is you are closed loop and with a precise VE table, the MAF is not needed for Fueling calculation and can be removed because at that point it's only an air restriction. MAF is a little better for year-round maintaince free tuning, (provided the VE AND MAF are tuned well) but SD is probably easier to tune, as you are only messing with one table and will make more power when in its ideal conditions.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
That is what I thought most people running a SD tune did. Just relocate the IAT sensor. The radix IAT is in the manifold, so i am sure you can relocate them.
Definetly can, I am fixing to install a Victor Jr. and 4 BBL TB on a buddies 408 and Tune for SD. I will just be using a conventional style carb breather and plumb the base with a new IAT sensor.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Not that it matters, but I'm using that method that Rhino is mentioning. I have a NAPA IAT sensor and just plumbed it into the heat shield of my CAI. Wanted to get rid of the MAF.

Quick Reply: 100mm MAF for LSX