Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

108LSA cam running on stock tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1BirdDRG
I'll chime in since I was there helping on the install. Yes, we did prime it with coil packs unplugged.
That's very odd Kyle, since there was no tapping at all Sat. night when we took it for alittle test drive. Keep me posted.

Hard to hear with the windows down. It's faint but, with the windows up you can hear a tapping all the way down to idle and it does increase with RPM.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your rockers again they can cause "lifter hop" if they have backed off. On a few cam installs I have had to do that. Pull the rockers back off clean the threads throw a little red loc tite on there tighten them back down spin the motor over tighten them again and call it good.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Kyle, ask Ed what base-circle he uses on his blanks.
one other thing. once you threaded the rocker arm bolts by hand, how many turns did it take to torque them down with the torque wrench.

harrison's cam with the 7.4" pushrods took too many turns, somewhere's like 4 i think. then switched to the 7.35" and they came in to spec. i think it's only suppose to be 1/2 to full turn to 22ft lbs.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

how'd the tuning go?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moregrip
how'd the tuning go?
Haven't been able to get to it yet. My flex-a-lite controller for the fans took a crap and the motor keeps wanting to run hot. I just stuck a new thermostat in with the BB mod and I'm just about to leave to go pick up my Flex-a-lite controller... Had it fixed.

I did however start tuning with HP Tuners... It's a drag because I don't have RTT with it yet, but I was able to get it to fire up on its own without playing with the gas. It's in SD for right now.

I'll keep this thread UTD... Videos real soon btw.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
I have a bad tapping with my ED C cam. Its calmed down a bit but its still there. Im buying a set of 7.425" Pushrods from another member and see if it goes away.

Kyle, ask Ed what base-circle he uses on his blanks.
Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
one other thing. once you threaded the rocker arm bolts by hand, how many turns did it take to torque them down with the torque wrench.

harrison's cam with the 7.4" pushrods took too many turns, somewhere's like 4 i think. then switched to the 7.35" and they came in to spec. i think it's only suppose to be 1/2 to full turn to 22ft lbs.
Base circles are something like 1.4375. These are small block chevy lobe's actually, not Ed's. Call me crazy but, I'm using the stock push rods. Ran some calculations and it required .0075 longer rods. Seeing as I'm doing heads next, I didn't feel like wasting another 100 bucks when I have to buy a new set here in a month or two. I also talked to a few guys running stock push rods on aftermarket cams and they said they've had no problems.... Wish me luck??? But, I'm sure we could find some guys who have bent a few push rods or two, and counter that. We'll see.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Putfile video was added to the first post. Just a quick idle clip.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Kyle, truck sounds mean man. I cant wait to hear it in person this weekend. Sucks you're having problems already, but knowing you they will go away soon. have you decided if you are going to do the heads or just run with the cam only?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what headers are you running?

check the rockers...again...
Old 07-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Default WHAT Do I Buy?????

I Have A 02 Gmc Sierra.v8 5.3l I Want To Get More Horse Or Power From It.what Are Some Of The Add Ons? My Friend Told Me To Buy A Cam And Heads ( Ls6 )? Don't Know!!!! I Don't Have That Much Money Right Now....

Quick Reply: 108LSA cam running on stock tune