Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

110 and under LSA/ICL/ECL

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running a 216/214 110+0. Im idling around 640 and no idle problems now. Driveability is fine. I dont have any dyno graphs on it but it makes some really solid Low to mid range torque and power. My SOTP meter told me so
Old 11-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Sexy Party Mod

Kyle, have you tried running an 02 PCM. It solved all of my idle problems this weekend ( as well as a tuner that actually gave a **** about getting it running right )

Last edited by FarmerBeau; 11-14-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Kyle, have you tried running an 02 PCM. It solved all of my idle problems this weekend ( as well as a tuner that actually gave a **** about getting it running right )
hmmm. access to more tables? wondering what has made it 'idle' better. thanks bud.

results with my setup soon. put it on the dyno an hour ago. gained no torque with the addition of heads/cam/exhaust/tuning... I'm waiting to post the horrific dyno results until I get back from the track tomorrow night. I'll keep this thread UTD.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

I'll stir up the pot.... So Beau, who was doing your tuning before???

haha
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

I'm running the TR230/224 thanks to Sport Side. Idle is set to 850 and pretty damn smooth. With better tuning I know it would idle better even lower, but right now with most of my stock parts back on it idles and sounds stock!
Driveablity is almost perfect, there is a slight chugging feeling you get when its cold and you just start to move. It goes away real quick, but again that may be a tuning factor.
My DCR is about 8.5, SCR is 11.5 and hell I'm running on 87* with no KR. My WOT timing is about 22-23* last time I checked.

I will say this cam really does like a free flowing exhaust as Sport Side told me. I can definatly feel the low of power after just removing the Corsa catback and putting the stock back on.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zick
I'm running the TR230/224 thanks to Sport Side. Idle is set to 850 and pretty damn smooth. With better tuning I know it would idle better even lower, but right now with most of my stock parts back on it idles and sounds stock!
Driveablity is almost perfect, there is a slight chugging feeling you get when its cold and you just start to move. It goes away real quick, but again that may be a tuning factor.
My DCR is about 8.5, SCR is 11.5 and hell I'm running on 87* with no KR. My WOT timing is about 22-23* last time I checked.

I will say this cam really does like a free flowing exhaust as Sport Side told me. I can definatly feel the low of power after just removing the Corsa catback and putting the stock back on.
so your running that cam with stock manifolds?
I find it hard to believe(almost imposssible) that your compression ratios are where you say they are and your running 87 octane.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
so your running that cam with stock manifolds?
I find it hard to believe(almost imposssible) that your compression ratios are where you say they are and your running 87 octane.
Yup, stock manifolds.

I have a LQ9 with Patriots 243s (64cc) and .040" Cometic gaskets. Running all the numbers with this cam, I got approximatly 11.5 SCR and 8.5 DCR. I've been running 87* on the last 3 tank fulls and have no (major) KR via HPT. I do get like .5 - 1* of KR every know and then but its usually around peak TQ area which is understandable. But nothing up top.
I didn't believe it either and thats why I started a thread about this over on LS1tech but nobody has gave me a definate answer as to why I can do this when everyone else says it would not work. Everything I read said 8.5 DCR was the highest you would want to go on premium.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=dcr

Only one guy says I might have a DCR of 8.1, but I've ran multiple DCR calulators and all of them show 8.5.
So unless my math is off here, I'm sticking to my original statement. But nobody has proved me wrong yet.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't believe it either and thats why I started a thread about this over on LS1tech but nobody has gave me a definate answer as to why I can do this when everyone else says it would not work. Everything I read said 8.5 DCR was the highest you would want to go on premium.

That's because DCR on Tech is biggest and greatest thing ever. Even if you have to advance your cam 8* to knock it up some. With as important as it 'sounds', I'm suprised cam-only guys with DCRs in the 7.X can even make it down the 1/4 mile.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:33 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Sport Side
That's because DCR on Tech is biggest and greatest thing ever. Even if you have to advance your cam 8* to knock it up some. With as important as it 'sounds', I'm suprised cam-only guys with DCRs in the 7.X can even make it down the 1/4 mile.
i've heard this before
Old 11-15-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zick
Yup, stock manifolds.

I have a LQ9 with Patriots 243s (64cc) and .040" Cometic gaskets. Running all the numbers with this cam, I got approximatly 11.5 SCR and 8.5 DCR. I've been running 87* on the last 3 tank fulls and have no (major) KR via HPT. I do get like .5 - 1* of KR every know and then but its usually around peak TQ area which is understandable. But nothing up top.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=dcr

Only one guy says I might have a DCR of 8.1, but I've ran multiple DCR calulators and all of them show 8.5.
So unless my math is off here, I'm sticking to my original statement. But nobody has proved me wrong yet.
What adjustments have been made in the KR settings?

The only thing I could think of is your quench area is perfect mine is the opposite I have shitty quench and have problems with KR (milled .050 and stock gaskets)
I thought this was some cool info
SStrokerace:"The tighter quench and higher compression WORK because the extra fuel that is far away from the plug preignites because it's not forced out of the quench area with that large amount of quench, by tightening it up you cause the mixture to be more turbulent, get pushed out of the far reaches of the chamber and burn better. Smokey Yunick found this out decades ago and it's always worked like a charm.

Bret"

Another thing are you getting gas from the same location every time?
I assume you know you are leaving alot of power on the table with stock manifolds especially with that type of cam.

Quick Reply: 110 and under LSA/ICL/ECL