Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

12 second n/a 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 second n/a 5.3l

I'm a newbie and i need help getting mods for my truck. Its a 5.3rcsb. I would like it to run low 13's at least in naturally aspirated form if that is possible. If not then i want to get as close to it as possible. I dont have money falling out of my butt but i believe in spending your money on the very best equipment you can buy. I would like to do the build up with the plan to keep the truck streetable and to add a super/turbocharger once maxxed in n/a form. I need to know brands and places where i can get the parts so any help would greatly be appreciated. I'd like to keep the smallest height but widest rim possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Bryan
Old 08-24-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, the first problem is if your going to add a super/turbo charger then you will want to build up around it, youdon't want to go the route your talking about becasue to ge the 5.3 n/a without nitrous is going to take some work. you will need a big cam, yank or vigilante stall 3000-3200, new heads, full exhaust, 4l60e upgrade, shift kit, professional tune. really if i was going to do it put a price on exactly what you want to spend or this thread could get really long. not sure if their are any guys/girls here that are running 12 just off of motor. Now I know we could get you in the mid 13's with what was listed below with some slicks. what i was tlaking about before but got off track, you put a cam in now it most likely will not due the turbo or supercharger justice and could really end up hurting you. If I was you just start with doing long tube headers, no cats, true duals, electric fans, shift kit, professional tune, cold air intake, maybe 4.10 gears and a 3000 yank stall or vigilante 3200. that should put a nice smile on your face.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, to be more specific i could easily see myself putting $10k or better in performance. Like i said i want to keep it streetable but i want to build it up the smartest route. If the smartest is to buy a different engine or something like that then ill do that. The reason that i wasnt too thrilled about the super/turbo idea is that i cant seem to find anyone who can tell me how to do it or how to get the results i want. If there is gonna be a turbo or super on it then i want this baby to run 10's or low 11's and be streetable. I'm willing to change whatever. I'll do fans, intake, internals, headers, exhaust, heads, tranny(or tranny parts), computer, trans cooler, definitely a stronger rear end. I have heard a few people say that a new converter in the tranny made a good difference. I'm really against it but if i had to and the engine was built to handle it i'd do nitrous. Thanks for the reply man. I really appreciate it. And please guys, name brands for parts would greatly be appreciated. I know i probably sound pretty crazy but im always reading about 4th gen camaros running 10's and 11's and still being daily drivers. Thanks again.
Bryan
Old 08-24-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, this is what I would do rip out the stock 4l60e replace transmission with a slp 4l80e that is built. then have APE or Futral build you a nice 408 with a 10.1 compression so you can run on pump gas. hook that up run a 250 nitrous, throw in some slicks and serious tunign and a converter and a dual 3 inch exhaust. your ready to go into the 11 and maybe 10 not sure but you will be hauling ***. No matter what if you don't want to run a supercharger or turbo or even if you do get either the stock 6.0 iron block engine or just spend the money for a all out built 408 iron block. that's my suggestion.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.automotiveperformance.net/
talk to these guys, also those camaros weight a ton less this us, and also are a alot more aerodynamic. that's why their in the 10's and 11's with ease.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

If your looking to set a standard of about what you'll need to run 12's w/ a 325ci lm7, check out these mods.

Guy by the username of 12sec5.3

99 Silverado Reg. cab 5.3
K & N Gen II, UD Pulley, Comp Cam .212/.218 .521/.528 w/918's, FMS pushrods, ASM headers, 3'' true dual QuickFlows, Mild head work, 2800 vigilante, vette servo, 3.90's w/ eaton, LS1 Edit, Flexalite fans, Ported TB, 160 T.Stat
12.81 @ 103.59 - 1.72 60'
Old 08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow, 250 shot of nitrous, i'd still need that to hit 11's. Well, thats why im asking questions. Do you really think that i could run a built block and super/turbo and make these times? It would probably have to be a one-off custom built setup right? Also, i forgot to mention that at some point i do plan on linking the rear suspension so that i can use slicks or at least really wide dot's(tubbed and everything). Let me know what yall think. You learn something new everyday.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Take a look at what parish has done he has one of the few 10 sec trucks i have seen that is drivable. http://www.neufamily.org/truck.html
Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

In my opinion there are a couple ways you could go and it is just personal preference. Regardless there will be alot of hiccups along the way.
Either way Id start with a 6.0 long block. You can find them around $1500.
Id then throw in a cam (maybe a 224/228??) and a 3200 stall. From there its up to you.
A blower or turbo is more fun IMO because it is always there, but is more expensive than nitrous. With a blower you'll need bigger injectors and some sort of intercooling. Ive spent quite a bit on my blower setup and Im on a stock 5.3.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

i think you need to start with a 408 and built 4l80e. then decide which power adder is best for you. i think i'd go the turbo route. sounds like fun

Quick Reply: 12 second n/a 5.3l