Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

160* stat ?s

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160* stat ?s

Will installing a 160 stat make the truck run rich on the stock tune? Ill be getting a tune soon but i was jw if i could go ahead and put it in? I dont know how the comp will react.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Launching!

should'nt bother a thing.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Old 12-23-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

It will be fine. I'm probably going to change mine to a 170 or 180* stat.
I've noticed poor gas miliage since the change to the 160* stat.
I have run a diagnostic scan and came up with a heater circuit code.
Basically it's staying too cold too long.
Engine trying to warm up for a long period of time causing gas miliage to fall a bit.
I've noticed about a 1 mpg decrease.
No one has posted the issues when I asked about the 160* stat before my install.
I guess I'll be one to warn.

Jim
Old 12-23-2005, 07:38 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I have run a diagnostic scan and came up with a heater circuit code.
I don't want to get too far off topic, but you might want to check the O2 sensor and it's heater circuit...are you getting the code for bank 1 or 2? 9 times out of 10, heater circuit malfunctions are caused by faulty heating elements in the O2 sensor...this will also contribute to your loss in mpg. Just a thought.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I don't want to get too far off topic, but you might want to check the O2 sensor and it's heater circuit...are you getting the code for bank 1 or 2? 9 times out of 10, heater circuit malfunctions are caused by faulty heating elements in the O2 sensor...this will also contribute to your loss in mpg. Just a thought.
I had an O2 sensor replaced at the dealership. The check engine light came on and I ran my own diagnostic scan with a Genisis system before I went to the dealership.
It did however come up with the O2 being bad. I ran my truck out of gas and burn up an O2.
I've seen just the heater circuit code alone on other vehicles that have had the t-stat totally removed.
The main reason for deterring away from the 160* stat is the miliage loss.
I've been calculating the 1 mpg loss for over a month now. It started ever since I replaced the factory stat.
Anyways, this is why I don't believe in the 160* stats now.
No performance gains = don't install it.

Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

Jim, what temp is your truck running when you have the 160* therm in with no tune??? What temp is it running with the tune???

I find it hard to do MPG charts when one day I race and the next day I push the engine hard and then I go a short trip to work, never the same on any tank of gas....
Old 12-24-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

The temp has always stayed the same, with or without tune. That is with the factory stat.
I really don't know what the temp was without the tune with the 160* stat, as I've never had it without the tune with that stat.
To tell you the truth, the factory gauge really doesnt tell me an exact temp reading.
Before the 160* stat the needle always read a tad below the half mark.
After the 160* install the needle sits a tad above the second line before the half way mark.
I don't know, you tell me what that temp is?
Until I get my Aeroforce gauge, I won't know the exact engine temp.

Jim
Old 12-24-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the heater circuit code could also be due to the fact that the truck is running rich and screwing with the o2 sensor. Put a scanner on it after the truck has reach its maximum opereating temp and mash the pedal three times and find out what your o2 reading is.
And post it up here, Than we will go from there
Old 12-24-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

The aeroforce gauge tells a different story than the factory gauge. I can hear the fans and watch the aero gauge as the fans turn on and off to the degree. My engine never get belows 173* with the 160* stat. But now with the 160* stat I do not see the 230* idle I did with the factory stat. Now at idle the highest temp I see is 190* and then the fans turn on high and get the temp to 175* in a matter of a minute(s).....

I have a hard time believing that tuning the truck to run 10* cooler would affect the mpg that much. I am not saying that I have the answer but I would like to hear if your driving habits are EXACTLY the same since you have the tune. I do know that when the temp on the engine and intake air temp go up the engine will retard the timing since the incoming air can not hold as much fuel causing detonation. I do agree that most engines do not run as good with 160* as 175*. Just because you have a 160* thermostat does not mean the engine will always be at 160*, it only keeps the engine temp above the thermostat temp. Even on the days it was below 32* in Austin I naver saw the temp go below 173* after I warmed the truck up. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

Quick Reply: 160* stat ?s